Square Root Problem: Equal Expressions?

In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation involving expressions with square roots and powers. The expressions are simplified using rules of powers and cross multiplication is used to solve the equation. The conversation also mentions the use of latex and suggests seeking further help on a specific website.
storoi1990
1. Homework Statement [/b]

i have this thing:

2u[tex]\sqrt{}um[/tex]

is this expression the same as:

2u^3/2*m^1/2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it means [tex] 2u^{3/2}m^{1/2} [/tex] Where is m in your expression.

great! i am just bad with latex :)

so later on i get this

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]3u^{1/2}m^{1/2}[/tex]

and [tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]u^{3/2}/m^{1/2}[/tex]

i am supposed to solve this as an equation:

[tex]3u^{1/2}m^{1/2}[/tex] = [tex]u^{3/2}/m^{1/2}[/tex]

but how?

Last edited:
[tex] 3u^{1/2}.m^{1/2} [/tex] = [tex]\frac{u^{3/2}}{m^{1/2}} [/tex]

that is equal to u = 3m

how did you do that? did you cross multiply or something?

yes, I've done cross multiplication. I'm giving you some more detail.

take [tex]m^{1/2}[/tex] from denominator on right hand side to numerator at left hand side and similarly take [tex]3u^{1/2}[/tex] from numerator at right hand side to denominator at right hand side. Now you have to know that whenever me multiply powers add up and whenever we divide power subtract up. Do you have any doubt now.

i am stil having some issues with this.

so is it correct that i would end up with:

[tex]m^{1/2}*3u^{1/2}m^{1/2}[/tex] = [tex]u^{3/2}/m^{1/2}*3u^{1/2}[/tex]

no, you have moved [tex] m^{1/2}[/tex] from right side to left hand side and its correct but now you have to delete it from the right hand side, and similar with the other one.

in computer language you don't have to copy and paste actually you have to cut and paste.

okey so then i end up with:

[tex]m^{1/2}m^{1/2}[/tex] = [tex]u^{3/2}3u^{1/2}[/tex]

and so:

[tex]m[/tex] = [tex]3u^{4/2}[/tex]

am i right?

no, some other members may help you. I'm tiered using latex. If you still confused, write your all the problem, if you can scan then scan and post it to www.monbattle.com . I'll solve each and every problem for you in a detailed manner, scan it and post it there so that you can copy and understand.

last thing I should add for your problem is that when you cross multiply, take digits from top of one side to bottom of other side and bottom on one side to top of other side.

Last edited by a moderator:
okey, thank you very much for your help :)

Related to Square Root Problem: Equal Expressions?

1. What is the square root problem?

The square root problem refers to finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives a specified number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, since 5 multiplied by itself is 25. It is represented by the symbol (√).

2. How do you simplify square root expressions?

To simplify square root expressions, you need to factor the number inside the square root symbol and identify any perfect square factors. Then, you can take the square root of those perfect square factors and leave any remaining numbers outside the root symbol.

3. What is an equal expression?

An equal expression means that two expressions have the same value. In the case of square root expressions, it means that both expressions simplify to the same number.

4. Can you have multiple square roots in one expression?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple square roots in one expression. For example, √9 + √16 = 3 + 4 = 7. However, it is important to simplify the expression as much as possible to make it easier to work with.

5. How can I use square root expressions in real-life situations?

Square root expressions are commonly used in geometry and physics to find the length of sides of a triangle or to calculate the magnitude of a force. They can also be used in financial calculations, such as calculating compound interest, and in computer programming to solve complex equations.