SSH to Plymouth Univ Server: Access from Home

In summary: You'll need to ask your IT staff.In summary, the server at university called cyclone is inaccessible from outside the university network. You need to talk to your IT staff about how to access it.
Tone L
Hi all,

So there is a server at university called cyclone. I can access it simply from terminal by:
ssh myusername@cyclone.plymouth.edu

Now I live off campus is there any way to ssh into the server from my couch at my apartment, i live less than a mile away from campus? I heard things like VPN??

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Does it require a VPN? Have you tried accessing off campus?
I have tried off campus, does not work. So I think it dos require a VPN, I know little how VPNs work too..

Probably this server is behind a firewall and you cannot access it from outside your university network. Usually university networks have only a few machines that are visible from the public internet, with the rest hidden behind a firewall. You need to talk to your IT folks and they should be able to help you out.

Likes Tone L
phyzguy said:
Probably this server is behind a firewall and you cannot access it from outside your university network. Usually university networks have only a few machines that are visible from the public internet, with the rest hidden behind a firewall. You need to talk to your IT folks and they should be able to help you out.
I agree with phyzguy -- you could look at this -- http://www.plymouth.edu/office/information-technology/ --, and if that doesn't answer your query, get in contact with them.

Likes Tone L
Anthony LaRosa said:
So there is a server at university called cyclone. I can access it simply from terminal by:
ssh myusername@cyclone.plymouth.edu

Hey
When you'd try to access the server what error do you have? Timeout or other?
Looks like your server is closed from the outside network and you can't just login with SSH to it.

So you need to ask your university IT staff about that.
Maybe that their IT security policy forbid that or you need to setup a VPN connection first.
Can't say more for sure.

1. What is SSH and why do I need it to access the Plymouth Univ server from home?

SSH stands for Secure Shell and it is a network protocol used for secure remote access to a server. It allows you to securely connect to a server and access its resources from a remote location, in this case, your home computer.

2. How do I SSH to the Plymouth Univ server from home?

To SSH to the Plymouth Univ server from home, you will need to use an SSH client. This can be a command line tool such as Terminal on Mac or PuTTY on Windows. You will also need the server's IP address, your username, and password to establish the connection.

3. Can I use SSH to access the Plymouth Univ server from any location?

Yes, as long as you have an internet connection, you can use SSH to access the Plymouth Univ server from any location. However, you will need to have the proper credentials and permissions to access the server.

4. Is it safe to use SSH to access the Plymouth Univ server from home?

Yes, SSH is a secure method of remote access as it uses encryption to protect your connection and data. However, it is important to keep your login credentials secure and follow best practices for internet security.

5. What should I do if I am having trouble connecting to the Plymouth Univ server via SSH from home?

If you are having trouble connecting to the Plymouth Univ server via SSH from home, first check that you are using the correct credentials and server IP address. You can also try restarting your computer and router. If the issue persists, contact your server administrator for assistance.