Standard deviation of data after data treatment

In summary, the person was given the averages and corresponding standard deviation for sets of data, but does not have the raw data used to calculate them. They performed further data treatment and are now asking about the relationship between the original SDs and the SDs of the treated data. They are told that the relationship depends on the treatment and error propagation can provide guidance. They express gratitude and will look into it.
Baho Ilok
I was given the averages (AVG) and the corresponding standard deviation (SD) of sets of data. I have no copy of the raw data for each data point that were used to calculate the AVG and SD.

I performed further data treatment on the data. I want to ask what is the relationship between the original SDs and the SDs of my treated data.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on the treatment you did.
Error propagation will tell you what to do.

mfb said:
That depends on the treatment you did.
Error propagation will tell you what to do.
I will look into it. Thank you so much!

What is standard deviation?

Standard deviation is a measure of how spread out the data values are from the mean. It tells us how much the data points deviate from the average value of the data set.

Why is standard deviation important?

Standard deviation is important because it allows us to understand the variability of the data. It is a useful tool for comparing different data sets and determining how reliable the data is.

How is standard deviation calculated?

To calculate the standard deviation, we first find the mean of the data set. Then, we subtract the mean from each data point, square the differences, find the average of these squared differences, and finally take the square root of this average.

What does a high standard deviation indicate?

A high standard deviation indicates that the data values are spread out over a wider range and are more variable. This means that the data is less consistent and there may be outliers or extreme values present.

How does standard deviation relate to the normal distribution?

In a normal distribution, approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% falls within two standard deviations, and 99.7% falls within three standard deviations. This relationship helps us to understand the spread of data in a normal distribution.