Standard TTL 2-input NAND gate - open-collector/totem pole outputs

In summary, the standard TTL 2-input NAND gate in Fig. 6-5 uses a totem pole output configuration, meaning that there are two transistors stacked on top of each other that can pull the output pin either up to VCC or down to ground. If the transistor that pulls the output to VCC is removed, it becomes an open collector output and a resistor is typically added to pull the output pin up to create a logic 1. The little black triangles with a line tangent to its tip signify diodes, but can be ignored for the moment. The difference between open collector and totem pole outputs is that the former only has one transistor for pulling the output while the latter has two.
s3a

Homework Statement

Question:
Refer to Fig. 6-5. This standard TTL 2-input NAND gate uses ______ (open-collector, totem pole) outputs.

Solution:
The 2-input TTL NAND gate in Fig. 6-5 (which is attached as "TheFigure.jpg") uses a totem pole output configuration.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what the little black triangles with a line tangent to its tip signify.

Could someone please walk me through this circuit because I understand almost nothing. I don't even understand what is meant by open-collector and totem pole outputs.

What I think I get is that if the currents for inputs A and B do not go to the ground that means that the inputs are each 1/high and then, somehow, “magic happens” and the current goes through all that stuff and an output is obtained.

Any help in fully understanding what is going on with this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• TheFigure.jpg
    TheFigure.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,263
Physics news on Phys.org
With both inputs high, Q1 is just a forward-biased p-n junction between base & collector. So current flows thru the 4K resistor to Q2 base. Q2 turns on and in turn turns on Q4 (the combination Q2-Q4 is called a "Darlington" connection). Thus the collector of Q4 goes low. Also, Q2 collector goes low, turning off Q3. Good thing 'cause otherwise Q3 and Q4 would try to short each other out.

If either input goes low, Q1 stops sourcing base current to Q2 so its collector goes high, turning on Q3 and turning off Q4. Again, good thing they're not both on at the same time!

Take away Q3 and you have an "open-collector" output. It means what it says - there is nothing connected to Q4's collector. The presence of Q3 constitutes a "totem-pole" output, so-called because Q3 and Q4 are stacked one on top of the other tlike the faces on a totem-pole.

I don't know what the little black triangles with a line tangent to its tip signify.

They are diodes. You can ignore them for the moment.

I don't even understand what is meant by open-collector and totem pole outputs.

A totem pole output has a transistors that can pull the output pin up to VCC or down to ground.

If you remove the transistor that can pull the output to VCC then you are left with an open collector output. Usualy a resistor is added to the circuit to pull the output pin up to create a logic 1.Totem pole..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totem_pole_output

Open collector...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_collector

1. What is a Standard TTL 2-input NAND gate?

A Standard TTL 2-input NAND gate is a type of logic gate that has two inputs and produces an output based on the logical operation of NAND (Not AND). It is commonly used in digital circuits for performing logical operations.

2. What are open-collector and totem pole outputs in a NAND gate?

Open-collector and totem pole outputs are two types of output configurations in a NAND gate. Open-collector output is a type of output that can sink current but cannot source it, while totem pole output can both sink and source current. These outputs are used to connect multiple gates together in a circuit.

3. How does a Standard TTL 2-input NAND gate work?

A Standard TTL 2-input NAND gate uses transistors to perform the logical operation of NAND. When both inputs are low, the output will be high. When one or both inputs are high, the output will be low. This logic is based on the Boolean expression for NAND: A AND B = NOT (A NAND B).

4. What are the advantages of using a Standard TTL 2-input NAND gate?

There are several advantages of using a Standard TTL 2-input NAND gate. It has a simple and compact design, making it ideal for use in digital circuits. It also has a fast switching speed and low power consumption, making it efficient for use in electronic devices.

5. How is a Standard TTL 2-input NAND gate different from other types of NAND gates?

A Standard TTL 2-input NAND gate is different from other types of NAND gates in terms of its logic family and voltage levels. It uses Transistor-Transistor Logic (TTL) technology and operates at 5V, while other types of NAND gates may use different logic families and operate at different voltage levels. This can affect the performance and compatibility of the gate in a circuit.