Star Catalogue Question - Stars near the Ecliptic

In summary, the conversation suggests creating a catalogue of stars along the ecliptic using RA/Dec coordinates, which may seem daunting. Suggestions include downloading a catalog and using a computer program to compile new data files, or using the UCAC 2 catalog and a program to extract stars manually. Another option is to use the VizieR Service, which offers a .txt format for extraction. The possibility of using Ecliptic-coordinate databases for deep space probes is also mentioned, but no mention of such databases in online star catalogues is found.
wgk22
I'd like to create a catalogue of stars that are within a one degree belt along the ecliptic. Since most databases use RA/Dec coordinates, this appears to be a daunting task. Any suggestions?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Download a catalog and then write a computer program to compile new data files.

If you have little programming experience, the following will work as well. Download the UCAC 2 catalog (http://www.hnsky.org/ucac2.htm ) and a program that let's you extract stars from the catalog using input parameters (http://www.projectpluto.com/ucac2.htm). If you use this program, you will have to manually determine the appropriate window size and RA and Dec points along the ecliptic for each extraction.

EDIT: You could accomplish the same (but for any catalog) by using the VizieR Service (http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/VizieR). The standard output is in .html format and I do not recall if .txt format is an option--I just checked, yes it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your prompt reply. I will investigate the VizieR Service.

In the meantime, I read that NASA uses Ecliptic-coordinate databases for deep space probes, but I find no mention of such in lists of online star catalogues. It would be ideal if I could download such a database and make a simple extraction from it.

1. What is a star catalogue?

A star catalogue is a list or database that contains information about the stars in the sky. This includes their positions, magnitudes, and other characteristics.

2. Why is the ecliptic important in a star catalogue?

The ecliptic is the path that the Sun appears to follow in the sky as seen from Earth. It is important in a star catalogue because it is the reference point for the celestial coordinate system, which is used to locate stars in the sky.

3. How are stars near the ecliptic identified in a star catalogue?

Stars near the ecliptic are identified by their celestial coordinates, specifically their right ascension and declination. These coordinates are measured relative to the ecliptic and can be found in a star catalogue.

4. Can all stars be found in a star catalogue?

No, not all stars can be found in a star catalogue. The brighter and more prominent stars are typically included, but there are billions of stars in the sky and not all of them have been catalogued.

5. How are star catalogues used by scientists?

Star catalogues are used by scientists for a variety of purposes. They can be used for navigation and mapping the sky, studying the evolution of stars, and identifying celestial objects such as planets, galaxies, and nebulae.