How Can I Understand and Use the Stars and Bars Selection Formula?

• MHB
  • Thread starter CStudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary: We achieve the goal of having $4$ balls in every drawer.In summary, we insert 10 balls into 4 drawers, every drawer has an odd number of balls, and the final result is that every drawer is empty.
CStudent
Hey.

I find it difficult to understand the logic and the appropriate usage of the formula:
$\dbinom{N+K-1}{N}$

I don't really understand what's posed behind the scenes of that one.

So I have some example for an exercise which requires the usage of this formula, but I know only to substitute robotically numbers without any understanding.

* How many ways we can insert 16 indistinguishable balls to 4 drawers such that in every drawer we have at least 3 balls?

So I know we should insert at the beginning 3 balls to every drawer and the remainder is 4 balls.
How do I continue and use this formula? I want to understand the formula.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi CStudent,

It is the extended form where zero balls in a drawer is allowed.
Let's start with the form where every drawer must have at least 1 ball.At least 1 star in every drawer
Suppose we have $n=4$ stars to divide over $k=3$ drawers with at least $1$ star in each.
It means we have to divide $k-1=2$ dividers over the $n-1=3$ gaps between the stars, yes?
For instance like this:
\begin{array}{}\star && \star &\mid& \star &\mid & \star & = & \text{$n$ stars in $k$ drawers}\end{array}
It gives us $\binom{n-1}{k-1}$ possibilities.

Now do the same thing with $n+k$ stars.
For instance:
\begin{array}{}\star && \star &\mid& \star &\mid & \star &&\star && \star && \star & = & \text{$n+k$ stars in $k$ drawers}\end{array}
It means that there are $\binom{n+k-1}{k-1}$ possibilities to have at least 1 star in every drawer, yes?
At least 0 stars in every drawer
Now remove $1$ star from each drawer, removing a total of $k$ stars. The example becomes:
\begin{array}{}\star&\mid &\mid & \star &\star & \star & = & \text{$n$ stars in $k$ drawers ($0$ allowed)}\end{array}
It brings us back to $n$ stars where now every drawer contains at least $0$ stars.
Therefore there are still $\binom{n+k-1}{k-1}$ possibilities.
And since generally $\binom NK =\binom N{N-K}$, it follows that $\binom{n+k-1}{k-1} = \binom{n+k-1}{n}$.

I lost you here:
t means we have to divide k−1=2 k−1=2 dividers over the n−1=3 n−1=3 gaps between the stars, yes?

CStudent said:
I lost you here:
It means we have to divide k−1=2 dividers over the n−1=3 gaps between the stars, yes?

How can we divide $n=4$ stars over $k=3$ drawers?
Let's list them:
\[\begin{array}{}1.&\star &\mid& \star &\mid& \star & & \star \\
2.&\star &\mid& \star && \star &\mid & \star \\
3.&\star && \star &\mid& \star &\mid & \star \end{array}\]
That's $3$ possibilities, isn't it?
It depends on where we put the dividers (bars) that indicate which stars go into which drawer.
There are 3 gaps to choose from, and we have 2 dividers.
Choosing 2 from 3 gaps is indeed $\binom 32=3$ possibilities.

Don't that.
I understand there are 3 gaps and 2 dividers, I can't visualize how I choose dividers from gaps. I don't understand what does it mean at al...
Thank you

CStudent said:

Don't that.
I understand there are 3 gaps and 2 dividers, I can't visualize how I choose dividers from gaps. I don't understand what does it mean at al...
Thank you

I'm not sure what you don't understand... can you clarify?

We choose 2 gaps from the 3 available gaps.
In those 2 gaps we put a divider.
The result is that we get the division of the stars to put into the 3 drawers.

Klaas van Aarsen said:
I'm not sure what you don't understand... can you clarify?

We choose 2 gaps from the 3 available gaps.
In those 2 gaps we put a divider.
The result is that we get the division of the stars to put into the 3 drawers.

Thanks!
What if I would like to insert 16 indistinguishable balls into 4 drawers such that every drawer has and odd number of balls?

CStudent said:
Thanks!
What if I would like to insert 16 indistinguishable balls into 4 drawers such that every drawer has and odd number of balls?

We start with $\frac{16+4}{2}=10$ balls and we put at least 1 ball in every drawer.
To do so, we select $3$ of the $9$ gaps between the balls for a total of $\binom 93$ combinations.
Then we double the number of balls in each drawer and afterwards we remove a ball from each drawer.

1. What is the "stars and bars selection" method?

The "stars and bars selection" method is a mathematical technique used to count the number of ways to distribute a certain number of objects into a certain number of categories. It is often used in probability and combinatorics problems.

2. How does the "stars and bars selection" method work?

The method involves representing the objects as stars and the categories as bars. The number of stars in each category represents the number of objects in that category. By counting the number of ways the stars and bars can be arranged, we can determine the total number of possible distributions.

3. What are the applications of the "stars and bars selection" method?

The method can be used in various areas such as genetics, statistics, and computer science. It can be used to solve problems involving permutations, combinations, and partitions.

4. Are there any limitations to the "stars and bars selection" method?

Yes, the method can only be used for distributing objects into categories where all objects are distinct and each category has at least one object. It also assumes that the order of the objects within a category does not matter.

5. Can you provide an example of using the "stars and bars selection" method?

Sure, let's say we have 5 different colored balls and we want to distribute them into 3 boxes. Using the "stars and bars selection" method, we can represent this problem as: ****|*|| where the stars represent the balls and the bars represent the boxes. By counting the number of ways this can be arranged, we can determine that there are 10 possible distributions.