State densities of a semiconductor

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with an equation and the terms involved. The question is whether the terms "c,v" have a relation to conduction and valence, and what the meaning of "N" and "m" is. After receiving clarification, it is determined that "c,v" are subscripts and represent conduction and valence, respectively. "N" refers to the number of energy levels and "m" is the mass of the carrier.
stagger_lee

Homework Statement

Having some trouble with the following equation, I'm not sure what each term represents.

The problem I have is does c,v have something to do with conduction and valence? But what is N and m? And what does it mean when terms are separated by a comma?

Homework Equations

Nc,v = 2 ((2[tex]\pi[/tex]mc,vKT)/(h^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I gather;

K=Boltmann's constant
T=Temperature
h=Planck's constant
Nc,v=?
mc,v=?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please use latex, since I am guessing the "c,v" are subscripts. In that case you are right about conduction and valence. N is the number of energy levels in either the conduction or valence band (basically density of states) and m is the mass of the carrier.

Sorry, i'll make sure I use latex in future.

That's cleared things up for me. Thank you.

Related to State densities of a semiconductor

1. What is the definition of state density in a semiconductor?

State density in a semiconductor refers to the number of available energy states per unit volume in the energy band structure of the material.

2. How does temperature affect the state density of a semiconductor?

As temperature increases, the state density in a semiconductor also increases due to the increase in thermal energy, which allows more electrons to occupy higher energy states.

3. What is the difference between conduction band and valence band state densities in a semiconductor?

The conduction band state density refers to the number of available energy states for electrons to move freely, while the valence band state density refers to the number of available energy states for electrons to be bound to atoms.

4. How does doping affect the state density of a semiconductor?

Doping, which involves intentionally adding impurities to a semiconductor, can significantly alter the state density by introducing additional energy levels in the band structure and shifting the balance between conduction and valence band state densities.

5. What is the relationship between state density and carrier concentration in a semiconductor?

The state density and carrier concentration in a semiconductor are directly proportional, meaning that an increase in state density will result in an increase in the number of carriers (electrons or holes) in the material.