State functions in Grand Canonical Ensemble vs Canonical

In summary: Oh, I missed this question- also, does the fact that values tend to the mean come from the law of large numbers?Yes, exactly! The law of large numbers says that if you have ##N## independent identically distributed random variables, then the average of those random variables will tend to the mean of the distribution as ##N \rightarrow \infty##. And the probability distribution at any given time is determined by the microstate. So if you have a macrostate, and you want to know what the probability is of the system being in some particular microstate, you can compute that by using the partition function. For the last question:there are two approaches to classical statistical mechanics: 1) The classical density of
WWCY
Hi all, I am slightly confused with regard to some ideas related to the GCE and CE. Assistance is greatly appreciated.

Since the GCE's partition function is different from that of the CE's, are all state variables that are derived from the their respective partition functions still equal in general for the same substances (for example, ideal gases)?

Or do they differ between ensembles depending on the substance considered? In this case, how do I tell whether or not a substance's state functions change?

For example, denoting the GCE's partition function as ##\tilde{Z}## and the CE's as ##Z##,
$$U_{gce} = -( \partial_{\beta } \tilde{Z} ) + \mu \langle N \rangle$$
$$U_{ce} = -( \partial_{\beta } Z)$$
$$F_{gce} = -k_B T \ln{\tilde{Z}} + \mu \langle N \rangle $$
$$F_{ce} = - k_B T \ln{Z} $$
are these equivalent in general?

Also, more specifically, if I am considering some ideal gas in a GCE, can I still use things like ##PV = nRT##, ##U = \frac{3}{2}k_B T##, the Sackur-Tetrode equation etc ...?

Finally, the way I learned to derive a CE partition function for an ideal gas was to start with a single-particle partition function, before generalising to an N-indistinguishable particle case. If I wanted a GCE partition function for an ideal gas, it doesn't make sense at all to start with a single particle case. How then, do I derive the GCE partition function for the ideal gas with ##\tilde{Z}##?

$$\tilde{Z} = \sum_{i,j} e^{\beta (- E_i + \mu N_j)}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody has chimed in on this, so I'll take a stab at it.

The various kinds of ensembles are ways of holding different thermodynamic quantities fixed.

If you hold the total energy ##E##, the number of particles ##N##, the volume ##V## all constant, then the relevant quantity is:

##W(E,N,V)## which is the number of microstates consistent with the macroscopic quantities ##E,V,N##.

That's if there are discrete states. In classical statistical mechanics, there are continuously many possible states, so what's used instead is:

##\Omega(E,N,V) \Delta E##, where ##\Omega## is the density of states. This gives the volume in phase of the set of all states with energy between ##E## and ##E + \Delta E##.

If you hold the temperature ##T##, the number of particles ##N##, the volume ##V## all constant, then the relevant quantity is:

##Z_{canon}(\beta, N, V) = \int_E e^{-\beta E} \Omega(E,N,V) dE## or ##\sum_E W(E,N,V) e^{-\beta E}##
(depending on whether you are considering discrete or continuous energies), where ##\beta = \frac{1}{kT}##.

If you hold the temperature ##T##, the chemical potential ##\mu##, the volume ##V## all constant, then the relevant quantity is:

##Z_{GC}(\beta, \mu, V) = \sum_N Z_{canon}(\beta, N, V) e^{\beta \mu N}##

You can calculate thermodynamic quantities from any of them, and you get roughly the same answers, because even though energy is not fixed in the canonical ensemble (instead, there is a probability of ##e^{-\beta E} W(E,N,V)/Z_{canon}## of the system having energy ##E##), the probability distribution is very sharply spiked at an average energy of ##\langle E \rangle = - \frac{\partial \ln Z_{canon}}{\partial \beta}##. Similarly, in the grand canonical partition function, the number of particles is not fixed, but is likely to be very close to the average given by: ##\langle N \rangle =kT \frac{\partial \ln Z_{GC}}{\partial \mu}##

For the last question,

Calculating the grand canonical partition function for the ideal gas, you get different answers classically and quantum-mechanically. The classical answer uses continuous energy levels, while the quantum-mechanical answer uses discrete energy levels. This is one of the rare cases in physics where the quantum answer is actually easier to obtain than the classical answer. Do you want me to go through both of them?

Likes WWCY and vanhees71
Thanks for the detailed response!

So is this to say that in the thermodynamic limit, we can think of the different ensembles (and the state functions derived from their respective partition functions) as "equivalent"? Also, does the fact that values tend to the mean come from the law of large numbers?

stevendaryl said:
Do you want me to go through both of them?

I've learned how to do (kind of) the classical gas case, I'll probably learn the quantum gas case later in as my course proceeds, thank you! But since you mentioned it, I do have a question regarding the classical model. If we start from the trace definition of the canonical partition function, we end up having to confront this step
Screenshot 2019-02-21 at 12.43.18 AM.png

with the position and momentum operators. I read somewhere that the classical limit involves taking "##\hbar = 0##", to kill off all the commutators, which I find confusing. It clearly doesn't mean that we should put every ##\hbar## we see to zero, which won't make sense. So what does taking ##\hbar = 0## actually entail?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-02-21 at 12.43.18 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-21 at 12.43.18 AM.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 661
WWCY said:
Thanks for the detailed response!

So is this to say that in the thermodynamic limit, we can think of the different ensembles (and the state functions derived from their respective partition functions) as "equivalent"?

Well, equivalent for what purposes? The partition functions are functions of different variables: E,V,N versus T, V, N versus T, V, ##\mu##.

If you hold ##E,V,N## constant, then the system will tend to maximize its entropy ##S = k \ln W## or ##S = k \ln \Omega##.
If you hold ##T, V, N## constant, then the system will tend to minimize its Helmholtz free energy: ##A = E - ST##. (##A = - kT \ln Z_{canon}##)
If you hold ##T, V, \mu## constant, then the system will tend to minimize whatever the quantity is that is equal to ##E - ST - \mu N##. (I think that this quantity is equal to ##PV##, but I'm not sure. It's equal to ##- kT \ln Z_{GC}##)

But you can get from any combination of thermodynamic quantities to any other by using the definitions:

##T = \frac{\partial E}{\partial S} = \frac{1}{\frac{\partial S}{\partial E}}## (holding ##V, N## constant)
##\mu = \frac{\partial E}{\partial N}## (holding ##S, V## constant) ## = - T \frac{\partial S}{\partial N}## (holding ##E, V## constant)
##P = - \frac{\partial E}{\partial V}## (holding ##S, N## constant) ## = T \frac{\partial S}{\partial V}## (holding ##E, N## constant)
##S = - \frac{\partial A}{\partial T}## (holding ##V, N## constant)

etc. However, the various ensembles let you know that the ##E##, ##N##, etc., may mean average energy and number of particles, rather than exact. For one kind of ensemble, a quantity might be fixed, and in another type, it might be allowed to fluctuate, and so you have to use averages.

Also, does the fact that values tend to the mean come from the law of large numbers?

Well, sort of. I would say, rather, that the law of large numbers and this fact both come from the same facts about how quickly exponentials and factorials and so forth grow.

I've learned how to do (kind of) the classical gas case, I'll probably learn the quantum gas case later in as my course proceeds, thank you! But since you mentioned it, I do have a question regarding the classical model. If we start from the trace definition of the canonical partition function, we end up having to confront this step
View attachment 239049
with the position and momentum operators. I read somewhere that the classical limit involves taking "##\hbar = 0##", to kill off all the commutators, which I find confusing. It clearly doesn't mean that we should put every ##\hbar## we see to zero, which won't make sense. So what does taking ##\hbar = 0## actually entail?

Thanks in advance!

Well, in classical statistical mechanics, the various quantities such as energy are just numbers, not operators, so there is no tracing involved. It's definitely not the case that classical statistical mechanics can be obtained simply from the quantum case by taking the limit as ##h \rightarrow 0##. In some approaches to doing classical statistical mechanics, you count the number of microstates by dividing up phase space into little hypercubes of volume ##h^{3N}## (3 for the number of dimensions of space, and ##N## for the number of particles). The number of microstates diverges in the limit as ##h \rightarrow 0##. But there are other ways to handle this, by using density of states, rather than number of states.

I'm not sure what's the easiest way to go from the quantum case to the classical case. The quantum energy distribution is either Fermi-Dirac or Bose (depending on what type of particle), and in both cases, the classical distribution, the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, is obtained in a limiting case. It's described here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi–Dirac_statistics#Quantum_and_classical_regimes

as saying that it's when the inter-particle distance is much greater than the de Broglie wavelength. You can't actually take a limit in which a quantity with dimensions (such as ##\hbar##) goes to zero, but it's better to take a limit as a dimensionless ratio goes to zero (or infinity).

Likes WWCY and vanhees71

1. What is the difference between a state function in the Grand Canonical Ensemble and the Canonical Ensemble?

In the Grand Canonical Ensemble, the state function is the chemical potential (μ), while in the Canonical Ensemble, the state function is the temperature (T).

2. How do state functions affect the behavior of a system in the Grand Canonical Ensemble vs the Canonical Ensemble?

In the Grand Canonical Ensemble, the chemical potential determines the probability of a particle being in a particular energy state, while in the Canonical Ensemble, the temperature determines the average energy of the particles in the system.

3. Can state functions be interchanged between the Grand Canonical Ensemble and the Canonical Ensemble?

No, state functions in these two ensembles cannot be interchanged as they represent different thermodynamic variables and have different effects on the behavior of the system.

4. How do state functions relate to the equilibrium state of a system in the Grand Canonical Ensemble vs the Canonical Ensemble?

In the Grand Canonical Ensemble, the equilibrium state is reached when the chemical potential of the system is equal to the chemical potential of the reservoir, while in the Canonical Ensemble, the equilibrium state is reached when the temperature of the system is equal to the temperature of the reservoir.

5. Can state functions in the Grand Canonical Ensemble and the Canonical Ensemble be used to describe the same physical system?

Yes, both ensembles can be used to describe the same physical system, but they provide different information about the system's behavior and equilibrium state.