Grand Canonical Partition function

In summary, the grand-canonical partition function is a way to account for the exchange of energy and particles between a small system and a larger system. The chemical potential, represented by mu, is the marginal energy cost of adding one more mole of particles to the system. It can also be seen as the energy of the highest occupied many-body orbital or the Fermi energy. The quantity Ei - mu*Ni represents the deviation from the "typical" energy for Ni moles, with positive values resulting in a lower weighting by the Boltzmann factor and negative values resulting in a higher weighting. Overall, the chemical potential plays a crucial role in determining the equilibrium state of a system by balancing energy and particle exchange between two systems.
WWCY
Hi everyone,

I understand that the grand-canonical partition function is given by
$$Z = \sum_i e^{-\beta(E_i - \mu N_i)}$$
Is there any interpretation to the quantity ##E_i - \mu N_i## here? In the canonical ensemble this would simply be energy of the ##i##th state, so I suppose this would be "energy" of some kind in the GCE?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The chemical potential (mu) is the marginal energy cost of adding one more mole of particles to the system. Another way to think of it is that it's the energy (per mole) of the highest occupied many-body orbital, or the Fermi energy. So mu*Ni is some kind of "typical" energy of the state with Ni moles: the number of moles times the marginal energy cost per mole of the state.

That means Ei - mu*Ni is the deviation from this "typical" cost. If that quantity is positive, the energy of state i is higher than "typical" for Ni moles, and the Boltzmann exponential weights it low, and if that quantity is negative, the energy of state i is lower than "typical" for Ni moles, and the Boltzmann factor weights it higher.

Likes WWCY
WWCY said:
Hi everyone,

I understand that the grand-canonical partition function is given by
$$Z = \sum_i e^{-\beta(E_i - \mu N_i)}$$
Is there any interpretation to the quantity ##E_i - \mu N_i## here? In the canonical ensemble this would simply be energy of the ##i##th state, so I suppose this would be "energy" of some kind in the GCE?

Thanks in advance.

Here's an intuition for the grand canonical partition function: Imagine that you have a small system that is allowed to interact with a much larger system (which might consist of many copies of the same small system). The boundary between the small system and the large system is permeable, so energy and particles can be exchanged with the large system.

Let's suppose that the small system initially has a temperature that is very different from the large system, and initially has a particle density that is much different. Then after the interact for a while, the hotter of the two systems will get cooler and the colder of the two systems will get warmer until they reach equilibrium. By definition, they are at equilibrium when they have the same temperature, which means that on the average, no energy flows from one system to the other. Similarly, particles will tend to move from the system with the highest concentration to the system with the lowest concentration. By definition, they are at equilibrium when they have the same chemical potential, which means that on the average, no particles flow from one system to the other. Particles go in both directions, and so does energy, but on the average, as much energy enters the small system as leaves it and as many particles enter as leave.

So even though the chemical potential has the dimensions of "energy", I would say that it's more of an accounting of entropy than of energy. However, an entropy change can be converted into an equivalent energy change using the temperature. From thermodynamics:

##\Delta S = \frac{\Delta E}{T} - \mu \frac{\Delta N}{T}##

So adding a single particle to the small system changes the entropy by the same amount as removing an amount of energy ##\mu##.

It might be confusing at first why adding particles would lower the entropy (the minus sign shows that it does, as long as ##\mu \gt 0##). But think about it this way: If you increase the number of particles while keeping the energy constant, that means that the amount of energy per particle goes down, which tends to lower the entropy. (I believe it's possible for ##\mu## to be negative in certain circumstances, so this rule of thumb isn't always valid).

Likes WWCY and vanhees71
Chemical potential is negative under almost all circumstances, as we normally define energy zero to be when particles are infinitely far from each other, not interacting.

1. What is the Grand Canonical Partition Function?

The Grand Canonical Partition Function is a mathematical tool used in statistical mechanics to describe the probability of a system being in a particular state. It takes into account both the energy and particle number fluctuations of a system in thermal equilibrium with a reservoir.

2. How is the Grand Canonical Partition Function different from the Canonical Partition Function?

The Grand Canonical Partition Function differs from the Canonical Partition Function in that it allows for the exchange of particles between the system and the reservoir. This means that the particle number in the system is not fixed, but can fluctuate.

3. What is the physical significance of the Grand Canonical Partition Function?

The Grand Canonical Partition Function is a fundamental tool in statistical mechanics and is used to calculate various thermodynamic quantities such as the free energy, entropy, and chemical potential of a system. It also allows for the prediction of the probability of a system being in a particular state.

4. How is the Grand Canonical Partition Function calculated?

The Grand Canonical Partition Function is calculated by summing over all possible microstates of a system, taking into account the energy and particle number fluctuations. It is typically expressed as a function of temperature, volume, and chemical potential.

5. Can the Grand Canonical Partition Function be used for any type of system?

Yes, the Grand Canonical Partition Function can be used for any type of system, whether it is a gas, liquid, or solid. It is a general tool in statistical mechanics and can be applied to a wide range of physical systems.