Static Equilibrium - Ladder problem with a twist.

In summary: Glad to help.In summary, we determined the coefficient of static friction between a board and the ground by analyzing the forces and torques acting on the board in a static equilibrium. The final equation for the coefficient of static friction was μ=(Fr*cos25)/(W-Fr*sin25), with the values for Fr, W, and d1 correctly calculated.
Emilyneedshelp

Homework Statement

A board that is of length L = 6.0 m and weight W = 335.7 N rests on the ground and against a frictionless contact at the top of a wall of height h = 2 m (see figure). The board does not move for any value of
theta.gif
greater than or equal to 65 degrees but slides along the floor if
theta.gif
<65 degrees. Find the coefficient of static friction between the board and the floor.

Homework Equations

c11_6h.gif

Σt=0
F(roller)=Fs
Fn=W
Fs=Fn(μ)

Horizontal Forces.
F(roller) is the horizontal force are the roller point.
Fs is the force of friction at the point of contact with the ground and direction towards the wall
Vertical Forces.
Fn is the normal force from the point of contact.
W is the force of the rod.

The Attempt at a Solution

Fn=335.7
Fs=335.7μ
F(roller)=335.7μ

Σt=0=Fs*d+Fn*d+W*d1-F(rol)*d2

d=0,[Fs*d+Fn*d]=0

Σt=0=W*d1-F(rol)*d2

F(rol)*d2, d2=h

Fr(2)=W*d1

W*d1,
d1= L/2cos65

[335.7(6/2)(cos65)]/2=Fr

Fr=335.7μ

( [335.7(6/2)(cos65)]/2 )/335.7 =μ

Am I making a huge mistake with my thought process?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One of your forces listed as horizontal is not actually horizontal.

Likes Emilyneedshelp
TSny said:
One of your forces listed as horizontal is not actually horizontal.

The force of the roller is perpendicular to the to the board, using this I got it to F(rol)cos(25)

Fn=W*d - F(rol)cos(25)

But now I am confused what to do.

Emilyneedshelp said:
The force of the roller is perpendicular to the to the board,
OK. Good
using this I got it to F(rol)cos(25)
Is this the magnitude of the horizontal component of the force of the roller? If so, that looks right.

Fn=W*d - F(rol)cos(25)
This looks strange. On the left side you have a vertical force. The first term on the right side looks like a torque. The second term on the right looks like a horizontal force.
But now I am confused what to do.
You know all the forces acting on the ladder and I'm sure you've carefully drawn a free body diagram. Use the diagram to set up the conditions for static equilibrium.

Likes Emilyneedshelp
2a7hax0.jpg

F(rol)cos25=Fs=Fnμ
Fn=W

Σt=0=w*d1-F(rol)cos(25)d2

d1=(L/2)sin(65)
d2=h
w*d1=F(rol)cos(25)d2
w*d1/d2=F(rol)cos(25)
F(rol)cos(25)=Fnμ
(W(d1))/2=Wμ

Getting 1.5 out for μ which is ridiculous.

I feel like my issues lies with the d1 selection. I tried it with cos(65) too and still a wrong answer of .7=μ

EDIT: I also just noticed my final answer in the first post is the same as this one. Seems like I need to do some more review.

You've left out one of the torques. Note that F(rol) also has a vertical component.
[EDIT: You might find it easier to write the expression for the torque due to F(rol) by finding the lever arm for F(rol), rather than finding separate torques for each component of F(rol). But either approach will work.]

d1 is not quite correct. Make sure you have identified the lever arm for W correctly.

Otherwise, you are close.

Last edited:
Likes Emilyneedshelp
3cos(65)W-2tan(25)sin(25)Fr-2cos(25)Fr=0

335.7(3)cos65=Fr(2tan(25)sin(25)+2cos(25))
Fr = [335.7(3)cos65]/(2tan(25)sin(25)+2cos(25))
Fs = Fr*cos25 = Fnμ
Fn = W-Fr*sin25

μ=(Fr*cos25)/(W-Fr*sin25)
μ=.688 ANS

Thank you for the help it was the correct answer.

OK, good work!

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in zero net force and no acceleration.

2. How is the ladder problem with a twist different from a regular ladder problem?

In the ladder problem with a twist, the ladder is not placed against a vertical surface, but instead rests on a horizontal surface with one end touching a vertical wall. This adds an additional force (friction) to consider in the calculations.

3. How do you determine the forces acting on the ladder in this problem?

To determine the forces acting on the ladder, you must first draw a free body diagram and label all the forces present, including weight, normal force, and friction. Then you can use the equations of static equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces.

4. What is the minimum coefficient of friction needed for the ladder to remain in static equilibrium?

The minimum coefficient of friction needed for the ladder to remain in static equilibrium is equal to the tangent of the angle between the ladder and the horizontal surface. This can be calculated using the formula μ = tan(θ).

5. How can you ensure the ladder will remain in static equilibrium while using it?

To ensure the ladder remains in static equilibrium while using it, you must make sure that the forces acting on the ladder are balanced. This can be achieved by adjusting the angle of the ladder or increasing the coefficient of friction by using materials such as rubber mats or sandpaper.