Static equilibrium/tension force problem

In summary: There are 3 forces in the y-direction. The tension in the T1 string, the tension in the T2 string, and the torque created by the interaction of the T1 and T2 strings.
psneath

Homework Statement

The attached system is in static equilibrium, and the string in the middle is exactly horizontal.
Find:
a)tension T1
b)tension T2
c)tension T3
d)angle theta

Homework Equations

I know I need to create equations that equal zero to analyze the x and y components of force as well as torque

The Attempt at a Solution

So
Fx=T3x-T1x=0 (I think the tension in T2 is zero)
Fy=T1y + T3y-m3g-m2g=0
For the torque equation I'm using the axis of rotation as the point where T1 meets m3

torque = T2R + T3yR - m2gR

When I try to solve any of these I come across way too many unknowns to solve...can someone see if I've assessed for forces properly and show me where to go from here?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Q180001.jpg
    Q180001.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,066
Physics news on Phys.org
you have 4 unknowns and 3 equations which means you should be able to solve for each variable fairly easily. ( I say 4 unknowns because T3x cand T3y can both be expressed in terms of T3, with some triangular thinking.. Not sure if your torque equation is right or wrong(haven't done that stuff in a while)

Can I assume that T1y=m3g and T3y=m2g?

psneath said:
Can I assume that T1y=m3g and T3y=m2g?

Yes, you can and you should. :biggrin: [I assume you mean T1y = (3.0 kg) x g, and T3y = (2.0 kg) x g]

And it's important to understand why you can. So I encourage you to think about it for a couple of minutes.

Consider a tiny point on the string, right at the intersection of the T1 string, the horizontal T2 string, and the vertical string holding up the 3.0 kg mass. According to this small point of string, there are only 3 forces acting on it. So you can isolate this particular point to be a function of only these 3 forces. How many forces are acting on that particular point in the y-direction? Since nothing is accelerating, what does it tell you about those forces that exist in the y-direction (as seen from that particular point)?

[Edit: Btw, The above applies because we are dealing with light strings. If we were dealing with heavy rods, or rigid rods that clamped onto each other and held firm, things might be a little different.]

Last edited:

Your equations for the x and y components of force are correct. However, it seems that you have overlooked the fact that the string in the middle is exactly horizontal. This means that the tension in T2 is not zero, as it is providing a horizontal force to balance the weight of m2 and m3.

To solve for the unknowns, you will need to use the fact that the system is in static equilibrium, which means that the sum of all forces and torques must equal zero. This will give you a system of equations that can be solved simultaneously to find the unknowns.

For the torque equation, you have correctly chosen the point where T1 meets m3 as the axis of rotation. However, you will also need to consider the torque due to the weight of m2, which is acting at a distance of R/2 from the axis of rotation.

Here is how you can set up the equations to solve for the unknowns:

Sum of forces in the x-direction:
T3x - T1x - T2 = 0

Sum of forces in the y-direction:
T1y + T3y - m3g - m2g = 0

Sum of torques about the axis of rotation:
T2R + T3yR - m2g(R/2) = 0

You now have three equations with three unknowns (T1, T2, and T3). Solving these equations simultaneously will give you the values for T1, T2, and T3.

To find the angle theta, you can use the fact that the string in the middle is exactly horizontal. This means that the y-component of T2 must be equal to the weight of m2. You can use this relationship to solve for theta.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your problem!

Related to Static equilibrium/tension force problem

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which an object is at rest and all forces acting on it are balanced. This means that there is no net force or acceleration acting on the object, and it remains stationary.

2. What is a tension force?

Tension force is a type of force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched by two or more opposing forces. It is a force that acts along the length of a string, rope, or any other type of flexible connector.

3. How do you solve a static equilibrium/tension force problem?

To solve a static equilibrium/tension force problem, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, you can use the equations of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces in the x-direction and the sum of all forces in the y-direction must equal zero. This allows you to solve for any unknown forces or angles.

4. What are some common examples of static equilibrium/tension force problems?

Some common examples of static equilibrium/tension force problems include a person hanging from a rope, a weight suspended from a ceiling by a string, or a flag flying from a pole. These situations involve multiple forces acting on an object in opposite directions, creating a state of static equilibrium.

5. Why is understanding static equilibrium/tension force important in science?

Understanding static equilibrium and tension force is important in science because it helps us analyze and predict the behavior of objects in various situations. This knowledge is particularly useful in engineering and physics, as it allows us to design structures and machines that can withstand different forces and maintain balance.