Static Pulley Problem on an Incline

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two blocks of mass m and M connected via pulley with a coefficient of static friction of 0.64. The maximum mass m is being calculated in a configuration with an inclined angle of 23 degrees and M = 3.1kg. The conversation also addresses a restriction that theta cannot equal 33 degrees, which means that for angles less than 33 degrees, there is no limit to the maximum mass m that can be placed without sliding occurring. The participants also discuss an assumption made in obtaining the equation and the possibility of an extreme case with a very heavy mass m.
equinom
The problem is: Two blocks of mass m and M are connected via pulley with a configuration as shown. The coefficient of static friction is 0.64, between blocks and surface. If the inclined angle is 23deg and M = 3.1kg, what is the maximum mass m so that no sliding occurs?

The question is: I understand how m=0.64(3.1)/(sin23-0.64cos23) but how can I explain the negative mass? Also, when you look at the denominator there is a restriction that theta can't equal 33 degrees. What exactly does that mean?

zCIl5YWzAO2G8HFirJD_Uc-_aNHqSe7VvWfD1JpjHtLTc46wC7RwHQ3dlUjOqIUlNtF8i3BdiRPPuVw1Jayj6cc183mDKfvi.png

Attachments

• zCIl5YWzAO2G8HFirJD_Uc-_aNHqSe7VvWfD1JpjHtLTc46wC7RwHQ3dlUjOqIUlNtF8i3BdiRPPuVw1Jayj6cc183mDKfvi.png
    zCIl5YWzAO2G8HFirJD_Uc-_aNHqSe7VvWfD1JpjHtLTc46wC7RwHQ3dlUjOqIUlNtF8i3BdiRPPuVw1Jayj6cc183mDKfvi.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 571
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have an error somewhere in your analysis.

Draw a free body diagram for each block (include ALL forces on each block). Then write the equations of motion and set the system acceleration to zero.

@equinom I think you calculated the angle that the denominator is less than zero incorrectly. [Editing after further analysis: See below=your calculations are correct]. That angle is around 10 degrees,(I will compute it more precisely momentarily) and what that means is the mass m will stay on the surface without creating any tension in the rope, and won't need the full available frictional force of ## \mu \, mg \cos{\theta} ## to keep it from sliding. Instead the frictional force on block ## m ## will be only ## mg \sin{\theta} ## for angles ## \theta ## of 10 degrees and less. ## \\ ## Edit: Scratch that=your calculation of 33 degrees is correct. What that means is at 23 degrees, its own frictional force, regardless of the value of mass ## m, ## will hold the mass ## m ## in place. Mass ## m ## can be as heavy as you like at 23 degrees. Tension in the rope occurs only for ## \theta>33 ## degrees. The formula you have for the maximum mass ## m ## only applies for angles ## \theta>33 ## degrees. ## \\ ## For ## \theta<33 ## degrees, there is no limit to the maximum ## m ## that you could put there. It would be held in place by its own friction, and wouldn't need the mass ## M ## to help hold it there.

Last edited:
Likes equinom and haruspex
Dr.D said:
You seem to have an error somewhere in your analysis.

Draw a free body diagram for each block (include ALL forces on each block). Then write the equations of motion and set the system acceleration to zero.
@Dr.D Please see my edited comments of post 3. I think the OP has stumbled on an interesting case where the angle of inclination is sufficiently small, that no sliding occurs, regardless of the value of the mass ## m ##. :)

Last edited:
equinom said:
when you look at the denominator there is a restriction that theta can't equal 33 degrees. What exactly does that mean?
It tells you you have made a wrong assumption in obtaining the equation. You did indeed make an assumption... what was it?

Charles Link said:
Please see my edited comments of post 3. I think the OP has stumbled on an interesting case where the angle of inclination is sufficiently small, that no sliding occurs, regardless of the value of the mass m m . :)

While this is certainly possible (I have not calculated it), FBDs for the two bodies are still the right place to start.

Likes Charles Link
"For theta<33 degrees, there is no limit to the maximum ## m ## that you could put there. It would be held in place by its own friction, and wouldn't need the mass M to help hold it there.

Hmm, in an extreme case that m=1000kg, how can the friction created by a M=3.1kg block hold it in place. Something doesn't add up? Otherwise, thank-you for your explanation, it definitely makes me think about the problem a little differently.

equinom said:
Hmm, in an extreme case that m=1000kg, how can the friction created by a M=3.1kg block hold it in place. Something doesn't add up? Otherwise, thank-you for your explanation, it definitely makes me think about the problem a little differently.
@haruspex has a good question for you @equinom in post 5.

Charles Link said:
@haruspex has a good question for you @equinom in post 5.

Next question is, what is the assumption that I made? Probably that the blocks would move down the incline and that friction would be in the opposite direction. After playing with the equation a bit I get m=μM/(sinθ-μcosθ) and mathematically sinθ-μcosθ≠0 or tanθ≠μ. Is that always true or did I make an incorrect of assumption?

equinom said:
Next question is, what is the assumption that I made? Probably that the blocks would move down the incline and that friction would be in the opposite direction. After playing with the equation a bit I get m=μM/(sinθ-μcosθ) and mathematically sinθ-μcosθ≠0 or tanθ≠μ. Is that always true or did I make an incorrect of assumption?
The incorrect assumption is that the frictional force is always ##F_f= \mu \, mg \cos{\theta} ##. When ## \theta=0 ##, the object will rest there freely. Is the frictional force=## \mu \, mg ## for this case? What is the frictional force for ## \theta=0 ##, even though ## \cos(0)=1 ##? (Also see my post 3 again).

Likes equinom

1. How do you calculate the tension in a static pulley problem on an incline?

In order to calculate the tension in a static pulley problem on an incline, you need to use the equation T = mg(sinθ + μcosθ), where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the gravitational acceleration, θ is the angle of the incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

2. What is the difference between a static pulley and a dynamic pulley?

A static pulley is a system in which the pulley and the object being lifted are both stationary, while a dynamic pulley involves movement of either the pulley or the object being lifted.

3. How do you determine the direction of motion in a static pulley problem on an incline?

The direction of motion in a static pulley problem on an incline can be determined by comparing the weight of the object being lifted to the tension in the rope. If the weight is greater than the tension, the object will move down the incline. If the tension is greater than the weight, the object will move up the incline.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the tension in a static pulley problem?

The tension in a static pulley problem on an incline is directly proportional to the angle of the incline. This means that as the angle increases, the tension also increases.

5. How does friction affect the tension in a static pulley problem on an incline?

Friction plays a role in determining the tension in a static pulley problem on an incline. If the coefficient of friction is high, the tension will be greater due to the increased resistance. However, if the coefficient of friction is low, the tension will be lower due to less resistance.