Statics in traingles, or trusses

In summary, the conversation discusses revision for mechanics and the missing notes on calculating forces. The person knows some values and is struggling to calculate the force in rafter XZ. They seek help and are reminded of the general rule for finding reaction forces and the method of joints for determining forces in members.
blondnc
Hi there,

I have been given the questions below as part of some revision before we begin mechanics next term. I have looked back through my notes and I seem to be missing the notes on calculating the forces.

So far I know
XZ = 9.49m
ZY = 4.24
Angle x = 18.4
Angle y = 45
Angle Z = 116.6

I think the value of force in XY is -5Kn but I am struggling to calculate the force in rafter XZ.

Any help would be appreciated =D and thanks in advance

Attachments

• triangles.jpg
    triangles.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
As a general rule, find reaction forces first by summing moments of external forces, known and unknown (applied and reaction forces), about one support, = 0. You can then sum moments about the other support or use sum of forces in y direction = 0 to get both reaction forces. To then get the forces in the members, you should look up the method of joints, and start at the easiest joint. Your answer is not correct.

1. What is statics in triangles or trusses?

Statics in triangles or trusses is a branch of mechanics that deals with the analysis of forces and their effects on rigid structures, specifically triangles or trusses. It involves studying the equilibrium of forces and moments in these structures to determine their stability and strength.

2. What are some common applications of statics in triangles or trusses?

Statics in triangles or trusses is commonly used in engineering and construction to design and analyze structures such as bridges, cranes, and roof trusses. It is also used in the design of mechanical systems such as bicycles and aircraft wings.

3. How is the stability of a triangle or truss determined?

The stability of a triangle or truss is determined by analyzing the forces acting on it and ensuring that the sum of all forces and moments is equal to zero. This indicates that the structure is in a state of static equilibrium and is stable.

4. What are the basic principles of statics in triangles or trusses?

The basic principles of statics in triangles or trusses include the concept of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces and moments acting on a structure must be equal to zero for it to be stable. Additionally, the method of joints and method of sections are commonly used to analyze the forces within a truss structure.

5. How does statics in triangles or trusses relate to other branches of mechanics?

Statics in triangles or trusses is closely related to other branches of mechanics such as dynamics and kinematics. It provides the foundation for understanding the behavior of structures when subjected to external forces, which is important in the design and analysis of various systems in engineering and physics.