Can you check my solution for this trusses problem

In summary, the conversation revolved around a student's confusion regarding the calculation of forces in a truss. The professor provided a hint to consider the force at point C and reminded the student to take moments around point B. The student also asked about taking moments around point A, which the professor clarified is not necessary in this case.
Furious
9ajePsI.png

< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

I didn't attend the lecture in which the professor explained trusses so I don't really know.
Am I doing something wrong so far? is the force DE 0? because if go at the point C and calculate CD (750) then go for point D CD + 400 + DE (0) = 0 don't add up

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at your moment around B again, you are missing something.

*hint: See the force of 600N at point C

theOrange said:
Look at your moment around B again, you are missing something.

*hint: See the force of 600N at point C
But isn't the 600 N * 0 (perpendicular distance) = 0?

Furious said:
But isn't the 600 N * 0 (perpendicular distance) = 0?

No, you are taking a moment around Point B. However there is a force at Point C that you didn't take into account. Force there is 600N, and the distance is 4 meters.

theOrange said:
No, you are taking a moment around Point B. However there is a force at Point C that you didn't take into account. Force there is 600N, and the distance is 4 meters.

oh my bad, the moment in this case is anti clock wise right?
but is it counted if I take the moment at A ?

Furious said:
oh my bad, the moment in this case is anti clock wise right?
but is it counted if I take the moment at A ?

Yep it is anti-clock wise. No, it is not counted if you take the moment around point A.

1. How do I know if my solution for the trusses problem is correct?

The best way to check if your solution is correct is to compare it to the correct solution. You can do this by using a trusses problem solver or by consulting with an expert in the field.

2. Can you check my solution for the trusses problem even if I am not a scientist or engineer?

Yes, as a scientist, it is our job to help others understand and solve complex problems. We are happy to check your solution and provide feedback, regardless of your background or expertise.

3. What information do you need from me in order to check my trusses problem solution?

In order to check your solution, we will need to see your calculations and assumptions. It is important to provide as much detail as possible so that we can accurately assess the validity of your solution.

4. How long does it take for you to check a solution for a trusses problem?

The time it takes to check a solution for a trusses problem can vary depending on the complexity of the problem and the amount of information provided. However, we will do our best to provide a prompt response and give a thorough evaluation of your solution.

5. What should I do if my solution for the trusses problem is incorrect?

If your solution is incorrect, don't be discouraged. Trusses problems can be challenging and it is common to make mistakes. We recommend revisiting your calculations and consulting with an expert to better understand where you went wrong. Learning from your mistakes is an important part of the scientific process.