Statics - Max Tension in Cables

In summary, the problem involves determining the maximum tension in a cable supporting a uniformly distributed load, where the cable is located at a distance a = 3.6m below support A and support B is located a distance b = na above A. The key idea is to find the maximum tension at the support where the slope is maximum. Using the equation of the parabola created by the cable, y = w(x^2)/2*To, and knowing that the maximum tension is located at the support with the maximum slope, the length xa can be found and used to calculate the maximum tension as a function of n. By taking moments about point A for the entire structure, two simultaneous equations can be obtained and solved for the unknown
keximaze
Please help

PROBLEM
PROJECT.jpg

Cable AB supports a load distributed uniformly along the horizontal as shown. The lowest portion of the cable is located at a distance a = 3.6m below support A, and support B is located a distance b = na above A.

-> Determine the maximum tension in the cable as a function of n.

Homework Equations

The equation of the parabola the cable creates when an xy axes is placed at the lowest point of the cable, is
y = w(x^2) / 2*To

Key idea: the maximum tension is located at the support where the slope is maximum.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have to find the length xa first, then use the formula ya= w(xa)^2/ 2*To to get the formula for the tension. The problem is, I don't know how I could get xa.
Image66.jpg
Please help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi keximaze! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
keximaze said:
I think I have to find the length xa first, then use the formula ya= w(xa)^2/ 2*To to get the formula for the tension. The problem is, I don't know how I could get xa.

(don't you mean xb ? :confused:)

let the parabola be y = kx2

then you know kxa2 and kxb2, and you know xa + xb = 48 :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi keximaze! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)(don't you mean xb ? :confused:)

let the parabola be y = kx2

then you know kxa2 and kxb2, and you know xa + xb = 48 :wink:
Hello.
Yep, I meant xb

I know that I have to exploit the relations between xa, xb, ya, and yb...But I don't know what you mean by "you know kxa2 and kxb2"

Thanks.

You know that the bending moment is zero at any point in the cable. By creful choice of two locations, you can use this to get two simultaneous equations for xB and yB. Admittedly the equations are non-linear, but they are solvable.

pongo38 said:
You know that the bending moment is zero at any point in the cable. By creful choice of two locations, you can use this to get two simultaneous equations for xB and yB. Admittedly the equations are non-linear, but they are solvable.

Thanks for the hint...But I do not understand how to get these two equations :cry:

Do you know how to write down an equilibrium equation, taking moments about a point? If you do, then ascribe arbitrary directions to the reaction components at B. Then take moments about A for the whole structure. The sum of the moments should be zero. Can you do that?

hello keximaze! :smile:
keximaze said:
...But I don't know what you mean by "you know kxa2 and kxb2"

the question tells you that it is a parabola, so you know that (using the lowest point as the origin) the equation must be y = kx2, and all you need to do is find k …

the question also gives you the height of A and B above the origin :wink:

pongo38 said:
Do you know how to write down an equilibrium equation, taking moments about a point? If you do, then ascribe arbitrary directions to the reaction components at B. Then take moments about A for the whole structure. The sum of the moments should be zero. Can you do that?

That's what I did. I cut the cable where the lowest point is located, took the moment about a, and got
ya = waxa2 / 2To for the left side and
yb = wbxb2 / 2To for the right side

and when I took the moment about A for the entire body, I obtained another equation.

tiny-tim said:
hello keximaze! :smile:

the question tells you that it is a parabola, so you know that (using the lowest point as the origin) the equation must be y = kx2, and all you need to do is find k …

the question also gives you the height of A and B above the origin :wink:

k = wb / (2*To) .....what does it mean?

keximaze: You are doing well, so far. Your first two equations, at the beginning of post 8, are correct. As you know, ya = a, yb = a + b = a + n*a = a*(n + 1), and wa = wb = w.

Your third equation is the very last equation in post 2.

You now have three equations. Solve them simultaneously for the unknowns (as a function of n, which is a known).

1. What is statics and how does it relate to tension in cables?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the analysis of forces on a stationary object. In the case of tension in cables, statics helps us to understand and calculate the maximum tension that a cable can withstand before breaking.

2. How is the maximum tension in cables determined?

The maximum tension in cables is determined by calculating the load on the cable and the cable's properties such as diameter, material, and length. This information is then used to analyze the stress and strain on the cable and determine the maximum tension it can withstand.

3. What factors can affect the maximum tension in cables?

There are several factors that can affect the maximum tension in cables. These include the type of material used for the cable, its diameter, length, temperature, and any external forces acting on the cable, such as wind or weight of the attached object.

4. Can the maximum tension in cables be exceeded?

Yes, the maximum tension in cables can be exceeded, leading to cable failure. It is essential to properly calculate and control the tension in cables to prevent exceeding the maximum limit, as this can result in damage to the cable and potential safety hazards.

5. How is the maximum tension in cables used in real-world applications?

The maximum tension in cables is used in various real-world applications, such as bridge construction, zip lines, and suspension systems. It helps engineers and designers determine the appropriate materials and design for the cables to ensure they can withstand the expected tension and prevent failure.