Statics problem, suport reactions and pins, IDK where to go

In summary, the conversation is discussing the determination of support reactions and forces for a compound beam with three members. The equations of equilibrium are mentioned and there is a question about what to do next. The suggestion is to write down equations for each member and solve for unknown forces. The distance of 9.5 meters from A is mentioned as a point of confusion.
hedera
Homework Statement
Determine the support reactions at the fixed support at A and the rockers at B and C for the compound beam shown. The beam consists of three members that are pin connected at D and E. Determine the forces at both pins D and E.
Relevant Equations
Everything is at equilibrium: equilibrium equations.
So far I got the simplified forces of 12, 48 and 36 kN, at 1, 5 and 9.5m (from A) respectively, but I'm confused as what to do next, can you help me?

1625596329130.png
1625596340108.png

Physics news on Phys.org
hedera said:
Homework Statement:: Determine the support reactions at the fixed support at A and the rockers at B and C for the compound beam shown. The beam consists of three members that are pin connected at D and E. Determine the forces at both pins D and E.
Relevant Equations:: Everything is at equilibrium: equilibrium equations.

So far I got the simplified forces of 12, 48 and 36 kN, at 1, 5 and 9.5m (from A) respectively, but I'm confused as what to do next, can you help me?
You can write down a momentum equation and a vertical force equation for each of the mombers. One of these equations will only involve one unknown force or momentum. Solve that and one of the other equations will become easy.

Likes Lnewqban
Why 9.5 meters from A?

1. What is a statics problem?

A statics problem is a type of engineering problem that involves analyzing the forces acting on a stationary object or structure. It is used to determine the equilibrium of the object and the resulting support reactions.

2. How do you find support reactions in a statics problem?

To find support reactions, you need to draw a free body diagram of the object and apply the equations of equilibrium. This involves summing the forces and moments acting on the object in the horizontal and vertical directions.

3. What is the role of pins in a statics problem?

Pins are used to represent points of rotation or points where the object is constrained from moving. In a statics problem, they are important because they help determine the support reactions and the stability of the object.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a statics problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a statics problem include not properly identifying all the forces acting on the object, not considering the direction of the forces, and not using the correct equations of equilibrium.

5. Where can I find resources to help me with a statics problem?

There are many online resources available to help with statics problems, including textbooks, video tutorials, and practice problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or your professor for additional guidance and clarification.