Statics problem, trailer and truck system

In summary: Since the front wheels are seeing a decrease in weight, they would be pushing harder against the ground, which would cause them to rotate faster and in the opposite direction.Since it is asking for the extra load that results from the trailer, I don't understand why you think the truck's weight should be relevant (as long as it weighs enough to stop the trailer flipping backwards).
yaro99

Homework Statement

OFFNgB8.png

Homework Equations

ƩFx=0
ƩFy=0
ƩM=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I will call the tire forces A (for the trailer), and B and C (for the truck)

I got the correct answer for A by isolating the trailer and writing this equation for it:
ƩMD = 2400*9 - 2*A*11 = 0
A = 982lb ↑

to find D, I wrote this equation, still just for the trailer:
ƩFy = 2*A - 2400 + D = 0
2*982 - 2400 + D = 0
D = 436lb ↑

I got the wrong answers for B and C.
To find them, I tried isolating the truck and using these equations:
ƩMC = 2900*4 - 2*B*9 - D*12 = 0
2900*4 - 436*12 - 18*B = 0
B = 354 lb ↑

ƩFy = D + 2*B - 2900 +2*C = 0
436 + 2*354 - 2900 + 2*C = 0
C = 878lb ↑

Also, I inadvertently found the answer to part (b) when I started the problem by calculating the equilibrium equations for the truck that I wrote above, but forgetting to factor the truck's weight into the equations. I'm not sure why this would yield the correct answer; I would appreciate it if someone could try to explain that.

Physics news on Phys.org
yaro99 said:
D = 436lb ↑

I got the wrong answers for B and C.
To find them, I tried isolating the truck and using these equations:
ƩMC = 2900*4 - 2*B*9 - D*12 = 0
You found that from the trailer's perspective D acts upwards. Which way does it act from the truck's perspective?

haruspex said:
You found that from the trailer's perspective D acts upwards. Which way does it act from the truck's perspective?

Ah, thank you!
It is pointing down from the truck's perspective, so the signs should be switched on the 2 equations. This gives me the right answer.

I am still curious about part b) though. Why is the truck's weight omitted in the calculation?

Looks to me like the weight of the truck (2900 lbs) is included in the calculations.

yaro99 said:
I am still curious about part b) though. Why is the truck's weight omitted in the calculation?
Since it is asking for the extra load that results from the trailer, I don't understand why you think the truck's weight should be relevant (as long as it weighs enough to stop the trailer flipping backwards).
SteamKing said:
Looks to me like the weight of the truck (2900 lbs) is included in the calculations.
I think yaro99 is referring to an earlier (unposted) attempt at part a.

SteamKing said:

Using these equations yields the correct answer for part b), when I plug in 436 for D:
ƩMC = -2*B*9 + D*12 = 0
ƩFy = -D + 2*B +2*C = 0

ΔB = +291lb
ΔC = -72.7lb
Weight is not included in the above equations. I'm just not sure why this is the right answer.

Well, the trailer is pushing down on the hitch. It stands to reason that the truck would see an increase in the load put on the rear wheels while the front wheels would see a reduction in the load. Imagine the truck rotating counterclockwise due to the hitch load.

1. How do you calculate the weight distribution of a trailer and truck system?

The weight distribution of a trailer and truck system can be calculated by first determining the total weight of the system, which includes the weight of the truck, trailer, and any cargo. Then, measure the distance from the center of the truck's rear axle to the rear of the trailer, and from the center of the truck's front axle to the front of the trailer. Divide the total weight by the distance between the rear axle and rear of the trailer to find the weight on the rear axle, and divide the total weight by the distance between the front axle and front of the trailer to find the weight on the front axle.

2. How do you ensure the stability of a trailer and truck system?

To ensure the stability of a trailer and truck system, it is important to make sure that the weight distribution is balanced and the center of gravity is low. This means evenly distributing the weight between the front and rear axles, and ensuring that the heaviest items are placed lower in the trailer. Additionally, it is important to properly load and secure the cargo to prevent shifting while in motion.

3. What factors can affect the stability of a trailer and truck system?

The stability of a trailer and truck system can be affected by several factors, including the weight distribution, center of gravity, and wind resistance. Uneven weight distribution or a high center of gravity can make the system more prone to tipping over. Wind resistance can also affect stability, especially when driving at high speeds or in windy conditions.

4. How do you calculate the maximum load capacity for a trailer and truck system?

The maximum load capacity for a trailer and truck system can be calculated by determining the maximum weight that the truck and trailer can safely carry. This weight is usually specified by the manufacturer and can be found in the vehicle's user manual. It is important to not exceed this weight limit, as it can affect the stability and safety of the system.

5. What should you do if you encounter stability issues while driving a trailer and truck system?

If you encounter stability issues while driving a trailer and truck system, it is important to slow down and pull over to a safe location. Check the weight distribution and center of gravity, and adjust if necessary. Make sure the cargo is properly secured and evenly distributed. If the issues persist, it may be necessary to redistribute the load or seek professional assistance.