Statistics - joint and marginal densities.

In summary: This is how you can figure out the integration boundaries for the second integral. In summary, to find the marginal density of Y, you need to integrate the joint density over all possible values of X, which are bounded by 0 and 1. This results in two integrals, one for 0 ≤ y ≤ 1 and one for 1 ≤ y ≤ 2, with integration boundaries of y and 0 to y-1 and 1, respectively.
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

I am having difficulties understand parts of the solution to the following problem in Statistics:
Let X and Y be two random, continuous variables, where X is distributed U(0,1) and Y|X=x is distributed U(x,x+1). I am asked to find the marginal density of Y.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For that I would first need to find the joint density. I know that the double integral of the joint density over the area defined by the lines y=x, y=x+1, x=1, x=0 (parallelogram) is 1. What I don't quite comprehend is why would the joint density then be 1/A where A is the area of the parallelogram in this case.
Next, suppose fX,Y(x,y) = 1, why do I need to separate fY(y) = ∫ (between -inf. and +inf.) dx into two integrals (one for 0 ≤ y ≤ 1 and one for 1 ≤ y ≤ 2)? Why couldn't I use one integral? And why are the integration boundaries for the second integral y-1 and 1? How could I have figured it out?

Physics news on Phys.org
The joint density of X and Y is 1/A because it is the probability density over the area A. The joint density is a normalized version of the probability density, so that the integral of the joint density over the given region is equal to 1. To find the marginal density of Y, you need to integrate the joint density over all possible values of X. Since X is distributed U(0,1), the integral should be taken from 0 to 1. This means that the integration boundaries for the second integral (for 1 ≤ y ≤ 2) will be y-1 and 1. Intuitively, this makes sense because when y is greater than 1, X can only take values between y-1 and 1, since X is bounded by 0 and 1.

1. What is the difference between joint and marginal densities?

Joint density refers to the probability distribution of two or more variables together, while marginal density refers to the probability distribution of only one variable without considering the others. In other words, joint density describes the relationship between multiple variables, while marginal density describes the relationship between one variable and the total probability of all the other variables.

2. How do you calculate a joint density function?

To calculate a joint density function, you multiply the individual probability densities of each variable. For example, if you have two variables X and Y, the joint density function would be f(x,y) = f(x) * f(y). This assumes that the variables are independent, meaning that the value of one variable does not affect the value of the other.

3. Can joint and marginal densities be visualized?

Yes, joint and marginal densities can be visualized through various methods such as histograms, scatter plots, and contour plots. These graphs show the relationship between variables and the probability of different values occurring.

4. How are joint and marginal densities used in statistical analysis?

Joint and marginal densities are used in statistical analysis to understand the relationship between multiple variables and how they affect the overall probability of certain outcomes. They are also used to make predictions and in hypothesis testing to determine the significance of relationships between variables.

5. Can joint and marginal densities be used to calculate conditional probabilities?

Yes, conditional probabilities can be calculated using joint and marginal densities. Conditional probability refers to the probability of one event occurring given that another event has already occurred. This can be calculated by dividing the joint density of the two events by the marginal density of the event that has already occurred.