Statistics uniform distribution problem

In summary, the error was making the fundamental error that beginners often make: assuming that equation is true when it is not.
CAH
It's hard to type this out as there is a diagram and notation I can't find on the key board so I've attached an image of the question and answer. I've explained my solution below however I've also attached an image if it's too confusing with the lack of symbols!

Problem involves uniform distribution and integration.

I figured that E(feta) = (0+(pi/2))/2
And that cos(feta) ~ U[0, 1]
So E(4cosfeta) = 4 x 1/2
This is incorrect and If I integrate 4cos(feta) x 2/pi I get the right answer but I don't know why the previous method dosent work?

b(ii) I did P(X<= 3) = P(cos(feta) <= 0.75) and then = 0.75 (by my previous calculation of cos(feta) ~ U..)

Also why is p(cos(feta) < 0.75) = P(feta => 0.732..) why does the sign switch??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 403
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 426
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
CAH said:
It's hard to type this out as there is a diagram and notation I can't find on the key board so I've attached an image of the question and answer. I've explained my solution below however I've also attached an image if it's too confusing with the lack of symbols!

Problem involves uniform distribution and integration.

I figured that E(feta) = (0+(pi/2))/2
So E(4cosfeta) = 4 x 1/2
This is incorrect and If I integrate 4cos(feta) x 2/pi I get the right answer but I don't know why the previous method dosent work?

b(ii) I did P(X<= 3) = P(cos(feta) <= 0.75) and then = 0.75 (by my previous calculation of cos(feta) ~ U..)

Also why is p(cos(feta) < 0.75) = P(feta => 0.732..) why does the sign switch??
You don't need to type much out, and you do not need to present the diagram. You just have a random variable of the form ##X = 4 \cos(\Theta)##, where ##\Theta## is uniformly distributed on ##(0, \pi/2)##. You want to compute ##EX## and ##P(X \leq 3)##.

In your simple approach to ##EX## you have made the fundamental error that beginners often make: for a NONLINEAR function ##h(\theta)## we have ##E h(\Theta) \neq h(E\Theta)##, usually. Your error was to assume that was a true equation, but most often it is not. In this particular case, it is definitely not true.

Think about a simple case of a discrete random variable ##Y##, taking values ##y_i## with probabilities ##p_i##; for example, ##P(Y=y_1) = P(Y = y_2) = 1/2##. For a function f(y) we have ##Ef(Y) = \sum p_i f(y_i)##, but ##f(EY) = f(\sum p_i y_i)##. Generally, you will not have ##\sum p_i f(y_i) = f(\sum p_i y_i)## unless ##f## is a linear function of the form ##f(y) = ay + b##.

As you said, ##P(X \leq 3) = P(\cos(\Theta) \leq 3/4)##. Now look at the graph of ##y = \cos(\theta)## on the interval ##0 \leq \theta \leq \pi/2##. What does the region ##y \leq 0.75## look like on the ##\theta##-axis?

You might wonder: why did I write ##\Theta## sometimes and ##\theta## at other times? It was not a typo: I was respecting the mostly-accepted standards of probability writing, whereby a random variable is typically denoted by an upper-case letter and its possible values by the corresponding lower case letter. So, the random variable ##\Theta## takes values ##\theta## that lie in the interval ##(0,\pi/2)##. Your book apparently did not use that convention, at least in this case.

CAH said:

As Ray said, cos(feta) is not a linear function of feta. So the fact that feta has a uniform distribution does not imply that cos(feta) has a uniform distribution.

Could you good folks indulge me and not write feta ( a Greek kind of cheese ) but theta ( a Greek letter th ). It 'urts me eyes! :rolleyes:

--

1. What is a uniform distribution in statistics?

A uniform distribution in statistics refers to a probability distribution where all outcomes are equally likely to occur. This means that each possible outcome has the same chance of occurring, making the data spread evenly across the distribution.

2. How does a uniform distribution differ from a normal distribution?

A normal distribution, also known as a bell curve, is a probability distribution where most of the data falls near the middle and tapers off towards the extremes. In contrast, a uniform distribution has a constant probability for all values, resulting in a flat and even distribution.

3. What is the purpose of using a uniform distribution in statistical analysis?

A uniform distribution is useful in statistical analysis as it allows for the comparison of data against a standard distribution. It can also be used to generate random numbers and simulate real-life scenarios, making it a valuable tool in various fields such as finance, engineering, and social sciences.

4. How can one identify a uniform distribution in a dataset?

To identify a uniform distribution in a dataset, one can plot a histogram or a frequency polygon. If the resulting graph is a flat line, it is most likely a uniform distribution. Additionally, one can also calculate the variance and skewness of the dataset; a uniform distribution will have a variance of (b-a)^2/12 and a skewness of 0, where a and b are the minimum and maximum values in the dataset.

5. What are some real-life examples of a uniform distribution?

Some real-life examples of a uniform distribution include the distribution of heights and weights in a population, the distribution of scores on a multiple-choice test, and the distribution of arrival times of customers at a store. Additionally, many natural phenomena, such as the distribution of rainfall or the distribution of stars in a galaxy, can also be approximated by a uniform distribution.