Stats question: Item collection

• Thread starter dreamspace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stats
In summary: XZlIGl0J3MgYW4gZXhwZXJ0IHN0YXRzIG9mIGEgY29sbGVjdG9yJ3MgYW5kIHdpdGggYW4gaXQgY29tcGxldGUgY2FyZHMgZG9lcyB0aGUgbWFzdGVyJ3MgYW5kIHRoYXQgaW4gYSBjb21wbGV0ZSBjb2xsYXBzZSB0aGF0IGludG8gZG9lcyBhZnRlciBpbiBvdmVyIDE
dreamspace

Homework Statement

Suppose that I'm collecting cards, and that in a complete collection there are m items.
When buying a new card, there's an equal probability that the card is any of those m cards.

Let X be the number of cards I need to buy in order to get a complete collection

What is the Expectation/Ex of X? What is the Standard Deviation?

Homework Equations

Let [itex]X = \sum^{m}_{i=1} X_{i} [/itex], where [itex] X_{i} [/itex] is the number of cards I need to buy in order to get a new type of card when I already have i - 1 different types of cards

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure this problem would involve probability mass function, but to be honest I'm stuck as I haven't had any probability or stats in over 10 years.

Any good pointers on how to go on with this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
haven't worked it, but say you have n>m cards, then what is the probability of having m different cards might be a place to start...

After doing some reading, this looks like something that falls under Geometric Distribution. Correct?

dreamspace said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that I'm collecting cards, and that in a complete collection there are m items.
When buying a new card, there's an equal probability that the card is any of those m cards.

Let X be the number of cards I need to buy in order to get a complete collection

What is the Expectation/Ex of X? What is the Standard Deviation?

Homework Equations

Let [itex]X = \sum^{m}_{i=1} X_{i} [/itex], where [itex] X_{i} [/itex] is the number of cards I need to buy in order to get a new type of card when I already have i - 1 different types of cards

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure this problem would involve probability mass function, but to be honest I'm stuck as I haven't had any probability or stats in over 10 years.

Any good pointers on how to go on with this problem?

Google the Coupon Collector's Problem.

RGV

Related to Stats question: Item collection

1. What is "item collection" in statistics?

Item collection in statistics refers to the process of gathering data or information about a specific topic or subject of interest. This can involve collecting data from various sources such as surveys, experiments, or observations.

2. Why is item collection important in statistical analysis?

Item collection is important in statistical analysis because it provides the necessary data or information for making reliable and accurate conclusions or decisions. Without proper item collection, statistical analysis would be based on incomplete or biased data, leading to inaccurate results.

3. What are some common methods for item collection in statistics?

Some common methods for item collection in statistics include surveys, experiments, observational studies, and existing data sources such as databases or records. The choice of method depends on the research question, available resources, and the type of data needed.

4. How do you ensure the quality of item collection in statistics?

To ensure the quality of item collection in statistics, it is important to have a well-designed and structured data collection process. This includes clearly defining the research question, selecting appropriate data collection methods, ensuring data accuracy and consistency, and minimizing bias in the data collection process.

5. What are some common challenges in item collection for statistical analysis?

Some common challenges in item collection for statistical analysis include difficulty in obtaining a representative sample, biased responses from participants, data entry errors, and incomplete or missing data. These challenges can affect the reliability and validity of the statistical analysis and should be addressed carefully during the data collection process.