Stay on Theoretical Physics course or switch to Maths & Physics?

In summary, the two courses look very similar but the Maths and Physics route is more comprehensive and rigorous.
Mithra
Hey guys, I know this is predominately an american centred forum but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I've completed the first year of a Theoretical Physics 4 year course at Durham (in the UK). However with the modules that I chose I do still have the option to swap over to "Maths & Physics" joint honours which is half modules from maths and half from physics departments. If I do carry on to a PhD, which is something at the moment I am seriously considering (though I know things will change a lot in the next 3 years) as far as I can tell I would definitely like to do it in a more 'theoretical' branch of physics rather than a directly experimental one.

I have heard from several sources that doing the Maths & Physics would be a far better preparation for this than the theoretical physics as it gives you a more rigorous understanding of the mathematical basis etc. this is largely from a research student who is doing an MSc next year but says he has spoken to "lots of professors and researchers" so not exactly authoritative but not to be ignored either.

tldr: Could someone advise me on which of these two courses would give the best 'grounding' if I were to continue on and do a PhD in a more theoretical physics area.

Maths & Phys:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/natural.sciences/prospective/msci-maths-phys/"

Theoretical Phys:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/physics/undergraduate/courses/details/
(sorry for the ambiguity of that one, their pdf which shows the course specifically is down at the moment, it is F344 in the table)

Any advice would be amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both programs look extremely strong but by looking at the course content it appears the Mathematics and Physics route is more comprehensive and rigorous which is how graduate Physics is taught and the Mathematics will make the Physics more intuitive, I would go into that program.

Kevin_Axion said:
Both programs look extremely strong but by looking at the course content it appears the Mathematics and Physics route is more comprehensive and rigorous which is how graduate Physics is taught and the Mathematics will make the Physics more intuitive, I would go into that program.

Thanks for the advice, looks like I shall have to look into transferring course!

I think you should wait for other opinions, many people may have different perceptions on these topics that should be considered.

I'd go for the Maths and Physics. It seems like a lot of the modules are taken in both courses anyway, but there is a wide selection of mathematical physics courses you can choose from in the maths&phys degree that don't seem to be available in the theoretical physics course.

Kevin_Axion said:
I think you should wait for other opinions, many people may have different perceptions on these topics that should be considered.

I can't transfer until October so I won't be rushing into it, don't worry :wink:.

Related to Stay on Theoretical Physics course or switch to Maths & Physics?

1. Should I stay on the theoretical physics course or switch to maths and physics?

This is a personal decision that ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. Both fields have their own unique areas of study and career opportunities. It is important to carefully consider your strengths and passions before making a decision.

2. What are the main differences between studying theoretical physics and maths and physics?

Theoretical physics focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the universe, while maths and physics combines mathematical concepts with the study of physical phenomena. Theoretical physics may involve more abstract thinking and mathematical concepts, while maths and physics may have a more practical and applied approach.

3. Will switching to maths and physics limit my career options in the future?

No, switching to maths and physics should not limit your career options. Both fields have a wide range of opportunities in research, academia, and industry. In fact, having a strong foundation in both mathematics and physics can make you a more versatile and competitive candidate for various job positions.

4. Is it possible to combine both theoretical physics and maths and physics in my studies or career?

Yes, it is possible to combine both fields in your studies or career. Many universities offer joint degree programs in theoretical physics and maths and physics. In terms of career, you can pursue research or work in industries that require a strong understanding of both fields, such as in data science or engineering.

5. How can I decide which field is best for me?

It is important to research and explore both fields to gain a better understanding of their subject matter and potential career paths. You can also talk to professors, advisors, and professionals in both fields to get their insights and advice. Additionally, taking introductory courses in both fields can help you determine which one aligns more with your interests and strengths.