Stay with windows 10 or go with Linux

In summary, Linux is a possible option for those looking to move beyond Windows programs. It is stable, has a vast number of software options, and is relatively easy to learn for those looking to program for it. However, Windows programs are still needed in some cases, and dual booting is a recommended precaution.

Windows 10 or Linux

• Windows 10

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Ubuntu (Linux)

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Zorin (Linux)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red Hat (Linux)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
RedRum69
Good Day.

I currently am running windows 10 on my Laptop & Desktop. I do enjoy it though I would like some customization with my OS. I was thinking of Linux (Ubuntu, Zorin, RedHat) as I can further my System administration work and progress to cyber/information security. For information security; I use Kali Linux in a Virtual environment.

What I currently use my PCs for:
- Programming.
- Video & Photo editing, rendering.
- Gaming.
- University work (Physics & computer Science)
- Business work (IT Systems administrator [Window])

All I ask is for your opinion :)

Computer science news on Phys.org
By "Red Hat" do you also mean Fedora and CentOS?
EDIT: Similar question for Ubuntu and Debian?

Sorry for being picky, but this way I can vote better.

Likes RedRum69
I do , apologise for not including that.

Last edited:
Likes S.G. Janssens
My personal bias is for Debian. I tried Fedora, Ubuntu and Mint before that and ran CentOS on one of my servers for about a year. I've been using Debian for the last 2-3 years and I've never been more satisfied. There's some windows programs that will simply not work under WINE but these are far and few between. Most of them work under WINE.
The problem (if you want to call it that) with Debian is that they tend to stay behind the latest developments. Take the linux kernel for example, Debian Stable is running v3.16 while latest kernel is 4.7
The tradeoff is stability for bleeding edge features. I don't remember the last time I had to reboot my machine or encountered a crash. But this stability comes at a price. If you were to go out and purchase the latest and greatest from the hardware world, you may have some issues getting it to work. I combat this by staying 1 generation behind the latest tech (keeps your wallet from getting too light) Just do your due diligence and make sure the hardware is supported under linux before you buy it.

For the tasks you outlined:
Programming - I'm using my Debian box to develop with PHP/MySQL and with C++. With a couple extra packages, I can write code in C++ and then compile it as a windows executable no problems.

Multimedia - My experience here is limited. I just use GIMP for images and OpenShot to edit videos but they can't really compete with Photoshop and equivalent paid programs but still good in a pinch to do all your basic stuff.

Gaming - Steam + WINE - I can't complain with my experience. I wasn't able to get the new Starwars game to work because of some checks that had been implemented by the developers that failed under WINE. But outside of that, everything I have tried works great.

University Work & Sys Admin - Depends on your programs you're supposed to use

I`d like to choose windows rather than linux.But no matter which one you choose it is important to keep privacy security and now I protect my windows privacy by password tool http://[url=http://www.passwordmanagers.net/products/Password-Manager-7.html ']http://www.passwordmanagers.net/products/Password-Manager-7.html[/URL] and it works very well.It seems free now you can try if you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried several flavors of Linux in the past, and have never warmed to it. My conclusions are:
  • As a hobby project, it is fine
  • As a tool for doing basic PC things like surfing the web and writing documents it is adequate
  • As a tool for doing whatever strikes your fancy at the moment, it is pretty near useless (no large software firm will spend millions to develop a super application and then give it away for free - that is a sure way to bankruptcy).

For programming (Not tied to MS), then linux is a better option as it has matured and open source tools for that.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Use both and dual boot

This is my unfortunate situation, because I can't get away from a few Windows programs needed in the laboratory for instrumentation.

But if you don't have any need of applications only available in Windows, I would stick to Linux. But given your uses, that seems unlikely.

What are the main differences between Windows 10 and Linux?

The main difference between Windows 10 and Linux is their operating systems. Windows 10 is a proprietary operating system developed by Microsoft, while Linux is an open-source operating system that is developed by a worldwide community of developers. Windows 10 is known for its user-friendly interface and compatibility with a wide range of software, while Linux is known for its flexibility, customization options, and security.

Which operating system is more secure, Windows 10 or Linux?

Both Windows 10 and Linux have their own security features and vulnerabilities. However, Linux is generally considered to be more secure due to its open-source nature, which allows for constant testing and improvement by the community. Additionally, Linux has a lower market share compared to Windows, making it less of a target for cyber attacks.

Can I run the same software on both Windows 10 and Linux?

No, Windows 10 and Linux use different software architectures, so the same software will not run on both operating systems. However, there are open-source alternatives to many popular Windows software that can be used on Linux. Additionally, there are programs such as Wine that allow some Windows software to be run on Linux.

Which operating system is better for gaming, Windows 10 or Linux?

Windows 10 is generally considered to be better for gaming due to its compatibility with a wider range of games and graphics drivers. However, Linux has been making strides in the gaming world with the development of more gaming-centric distributions and the inclusion of Steam and other gaming platforms.

Is it possible to dual-boot Windows 10 and Linux?

Yes, it is possible to have both Windows 10 and Linux on the same computer and choose which one to boot into at startup. However, this requires partitioning your hard drive and can be a more advanced process for inexperienced users. It is important to follow proper instructions and backup your data before attempting to dual-boot your computer.