Step operators for harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation is about the calculation of energy shift for a given state with a weak perturbation proportional to x⁴ in the 1D harmonic oscillator. The question is about the discrepancy between the answer provided in the answer sheet (3+6n+6n²) and the answer calculated by the person asking the question (3+4n+6n²). The person realizes their mistake in calculating the prefactors and acknowledges that the answer sheet is correct.
TorKjellsson
Hi!

Info:
This is a rather elementary question about the creation a(+) and annihilation (a-) operators for the 1D H.O.

The problem is to calculate the energy shift for a given state if the weak perturbation is proportional to x⁴.

Using first order perturbation theory for the non-degenerate case we expect the shift to be proportional to:

< n| x⁴ |n >.

x is proportional to (a(+) + a(-)) which means that x⁴ will give terms that are multiples of these. Since the states of HO are orthogonal to each other, only terms that contain two (a+) and two a(-) will give a contribution (since all other terms lead to <m|n> where m=/=n )

Question:
My problem here is that I claim this shift to be proportional to (3+4n+6n²) whereas the answer sheet states that it is 3+6n+6n². My teacher said that he'll solve the problem on monday but since we've got the exam for this course on tuesday I'd rather know it straight away. So if there's anyone who'd like to either confirm my answer or explain why the answer sheet is correct it would be most welcome!

Regards
Tor

Physics news on Phys.org
At a quick guess, you might have forgotten to carefully calculate the prefactors (sqrt n, etc.) which occur as you apply the operators.

sorry guys, I was wrong. I thought I had checked all steps very carefully but I see that I made an error in the signs of some terms...

so the answer sheet was correct =P

Related to Step operators for harmonic oscillator

1. What is a step operator for a harmonic oscillator?

A step operator for a harmonic oscillator is a mathematical operator that describes the evolution of a quantum state in a harmonic oscillator system. It is used to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain energy state at a given time.

2. How is a step operator calculated?

A step operator is calculated using the ladder operators, which are mathematical operators that raise or lower the energy state of a harmonic oscillator system. The step operator is a combination of these ladder operators and their adjoint (Hermitian conjugate).

3. What is the significance of step operators in quantum mechanics?

Step operators are important in quantum mechanics because they allow us to make predictions about the behavior of a quantum system, such as the probability of a particle being in a certain energy state. They also provide a way to calculate the time evolution of a quantum state.

4. Are step operators applicable to all harmonic oscillator systems?

Yes, step operators are applicable to all harmonic oscillator systems, including simple harmonic oscillators, quantum harmonic oscillators, and anharmonic oscillators. They are a fundamental tool in studying these systems in quantum mechanics.

5. Can step operators be used for other quantum systems besides harmonic oscillators?

Yes, step operators can be generalized to other quantum systems besides harmonic oscillators. For example, in quantum field theory, step operators are used to describe the creation and annihilation of particles in a quantum field. They are also used in other areas of quantum mechanics, such as quantum computing and quantum information theory.