Step Potential Transmission Probability as t->inf

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the question asks to find the probability of a particle with energy 5/4 V0 being on the right side of a step potential at t→∞. The transmission coefficient T, which depends on the wavenumbers from either side of the barrier, remains constant for all time since the potential is not changing. However, the time evolution of the wavefunction is still important for calculating the probability at any given time. This can be done by finding the time-independent solution and then multiplying it by the time evolution factor.
elanier
At t=0 we have a particle incident from the left on a step potential (where V(x) = V0 for x ≥ 0 and V(x) = 0 otherwise). The particle has energy of 5/4 V0 and the question asks to find the probability that it will be on the right (ie. x > 0) as t→∞.

I understand how to solve this problem and that I'm looking for the transmission coefficient T, but what's throwing me off is the time evolution thing. I know that the wavefunction can be evolved by simply multiplying by e-iEt/ħ (ie. ψ(x,t) = e-iEt/ħφ0(x) where φ0(x) was found using the TDSE and relevant boundary conditions).

But...does this even matter when it comes to finding T? T depends on the wavenumber from either side of the barrier (k and q, if it were), which are related solely to the position part of the wavefunction, not the time part. Am I right in this? Since the potential isn't changing, wouldn't T be the same for all time?

Thanks in advance for any help! This has been bugging me all day and none of my books explicitly address this in their treatment of the step potential.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

You are correct that the time evolution of the wavefunction does not affect the transmission coefficient in this case. The transmission coefficient, as you mentioned, depends on the wavenumbers from either side of the barrier, which are determined by the position part of the wavefunction. Since the potential is not changing, the transmission coefficient will remain the same for all time.

However, it is still important to consider the time evolution of the wavefunction in order to find the probability of the particle being on the right side of the barrier as t→∞. This can be done by finding the time-independent solution (φ0(x)) and then multiplying it by the time evolution factor e-iEt/ħ. This will give you the time-dependent wavefunction, which can then be used to find the probability of the particle being on the right side of the barrier at any given time.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is step potential transmission probability as t->inf?

Step potential transmission probability as t->inf is a scientific concept that measures the likelihood of an electron passing through a potential barrier, such as a step, as time approaches infinity. It is used in quantum mechanics to understand the behavior of particles at the atomic level.

2. Why is step potential transmission probability important in science?

Step potential transmission probability is important in science because it helps us understand the behavior of particles at the atomic level. It allows us to predict the likelihood of an electron passing through a potential barrier, which is crucial in many technological applications, such as electronic devices and energy storage.

3. How is step potential transmission probability calculated?

Step potential transmission probability is calculated using mathematical equations derived from quantum mechanics principles. These equations take into account factors such as the energy of the particle, the height and width of the potential barrier, and the mass of the particle.

4. Can step potential transmission probability ever be 100%?

No, step potential transmission probability can never be 100%. This is due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where particles can behave as both particles and waves. There is always a small chance that the particle will not be transmitted through the potential barrier, regardless of its energy or the properties of the barrier.

5. How does step potential transmission probability change as time approaches infinity?

As time approaches infinity, step potential transmission probability tends to a constant value. In other words, the probability of the particle passing through the potential barrier becomes more stable and less affected by fluctuations. This is due to the fact that the particle has had more time to interact with the potential barrier, and its behavior becomes more predictable.