Steps for Setting Up Triple Integrals

In summary, the process of setting up triple integrals involves drawing a sketch of the region and finding the bounds for each variable. Symmetry can also be used to simplify the process. Two examples, a right circular cylinder and a sphere, were shown with steps to set up the triple integral and compute the volume.
harpazo
I am really struggling setting up triple integrals. I need steps, simple steps normally applied when setting up integrals given a specific region.

Physics news on Phys.org
Harpazo said:
I am really struggling setting up triple integrals. I need steps, simple steps normally applied when setting up integrals given a specific region.

Well the first step is always drawing a sketch of your region...

Prove It said:
Well the first step is always drawing a sketch of your region...

Ok but can you provide steps? Find the bounds has been a big challenge for me. I can easily integrate when the set up is given.

Let's look at a very simple example. Consider the region bounded by:

\(\displaystyle z=0\)

\(\displaystyle z=h\)

\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2=r^2\)

When we make a sketch of the region, we see is is a right circular cylinder of radius $r$ and height $h$, so we know its volume is $V=\pi r^2h$. To set up a triple integral to compute the volume, we see that:

\(\displaystyle 0\le z\le h\)

\(\displaystyle -r\le y\le r\)

\(\displaystyle -\sqrt{r^2-y^2}\le x\le\sqrt{r^2-y^2}\)

And so we may express the volume as:

\(\displaystyle V=\int_0^h\int_{-r}^{r}\int_{-\sqrt{r^2-y^2}}^{\sqrt{r^2-y^2}}\,dx\,dy\,dz\)

Using symmetry, we may state:

\(\displaystyle V=4\int_0^h\int_{0}^{r}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{r^2-y^2}}\,dx\,dy\,dz\)

Evaluating, we have:

\(\displaystyle V=4\int_0^h\int_{0}^{r}\sqrt{r^2-y^2}\,dy\,dz=\pi r^2\int_0^h\,dz=\pi r^2h\quad\checkmark\)

Likewise, a sphere of radius $r$ can be set up as follows:

\(\displaystyle V=8\int_0^r\int_0^{\sqrt{r^2-z^2}}\int_0^{\sqrt{r^2-y^2}}\,dx\,dy\,dz\)

Draw a sketch of a sphere centered at the origin of radius $r$ and see if you can confirm these limits. :D

MarkFL said:
Let's look at a very simple example. Consider the region bounded by:

\(\displaystyle z=0\)

\(\displaystyle z=h\)

\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2=r^2\)

When we make a sketch of the region, we see is is a right circular cylinder of radius $r$ and height $h$, so we know its volume is $V=\pi r^2h$. To set up a triple integral to compute the volume, we see that:

\(\displaystyle 0\le z\le h\)

\(\displaystyle -r\le y\le r\)

\(\displaystyle -\sqrt{r^2-y^2}\le x\le\sqrt{r^2-y^2}\)

And so we may express the volume as:

\(\displaystyle V=\int_0^h\int_{-r}^{r}\int_{-\sqrt{r^2-y^2}}^{\sqrt{r^2-y^2}}\,dx\,dy\,dz\)

Using symmetry, we may state:

\(\displaystyle V=4\int_0^h\int_{0}^{r}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{r^2-y^2}}\,dx\,dy\,dz\)

Evaluating, we have:

\(\displaystyle V=4\int_0^h\int_{0}^{r}\sqrt{r^2-y^2}\,dy\,dz=\pi r^2\int_0^h\,dz=\pi r^2h\quad\checkmark\)

Likewise, a sphere of radius $r$ can be set up as follows:

\(\displaystyle V=8\int_0^r\int_0^{\sqrt{r^2-z^2}}\int_0^{\sqrt{r^2-y^2}}\,dx\,dy\,dz\)

Draw a sketch of a sphere centered at the origin of radius $r$ and see if you can confirm these limits. :D

An excellent explanation. Thanks.

1. What are the basic steps for setting up a triple integral?

The basic steps for setting up a triple integral are as follows:

• 1. Identify the limits of integration for each variable.
  • 2. Determine the order of integration, which is the order in which the variables are integrated.
  • 3. Set up the integral expression, including the function to be integrated and the limits of integration for each variable.
  • 4. Solve the integral using appropriate integration techniques.

2. How do I determine the limits of integration for a triple integral?

The limits of integration for a triple integral depend on the shape and boundaries of the region being integrated. To determine the limits, you can use graphs, equations, or geometric properties of the region. It is important to carefully analyze the region and consider all possible combinations of limits for each variable.

3. What is the order of integration for a triple integral?

The order of integration for a triple integral is the order in which the variables are integrated. This can vary depending on the shape and boundaries of the region being integrated. A common order is to integrate the outermost variable first, followed by the middle variable, and finally the innermost variable. However, it is important to carefully consider the region and choose the most efficient order of integration.

4. Can I change the order of integration for a triple integral?

Yes, the order of integration for a triple integral can be changed, as long as the limits of integration are adjusted accordingly. This can be useful for simplifying the integral or making it easier to solve. However, it is important to carefully consider the region and choose the most efficient order of integration for the given problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when setting up a triple integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when setting up a triple integral include:

• 1. Choosing the incorrect order of integration.
  • 2. Forgetting to adjust the limits of integration when changing the order.
  • 3. Forgetting to include the appropriate function to be integrated.
  • 4. Not carefully analyzing the region and missing possible combinations of limits.