Steps from state space to transfer function

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between derivative and linear forms in converting to transfer function and when to use Laplace transforms. The speaker is confused about the steps for both linear and continuous cases, and is unsure if Laplace is used in any of the steps. They also ask if the two questions have the same steps in getting their transfer functions.
Std
Homework Statement
What is the diffetence between steps of solving the question
x'= [matrix values]x +[vector values]u
and solving the question
x(k)=[matrix values]x(k-1) + [vector values]u
Relevant Equations
Transfer function= c*[SI-A]^-1*B
I mean the first question has derivative form and the second is linear form so what the difference here in steps of converting both to transfer function... please need some ellaboration to make sure i am solving correctly or not... is it correct to apply the same rule on both:
Transfer function= c*[SI-A]^-1*B
And when do we need to use laplace ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Laplace transforms are used (mostly) for continuous time systems.
Have you studied z-transforms yet?

Likes Std
Thx for the reply... actually i am studying it from online resources and what i found for both cases are

So i cannot tell the difference between steps of both linear and continous... they seem similar to me... and no laplace is used in those steps and that is what is confusing me ... so is there laplace in any step that i missed here? Thanks again 4 ur help

For example do these two questions have same steps of getting their transfer functions

I mean what i did for both is getting
Transfer fun= C*[SI-A]-1*B
Am i correct?

1. What is the state space representation of a system?

The state space representation is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a system in terms of its internal state variables and input/output relationships. It is commonly used in control systems and signal processing.

2. How do you convert a state space model to a transfer function?

To convert a state space model to a transfer function, you can use the controllability and observability matrices. The transfer function is obtained by taking the ratio of the output to the input, with all state variables set to zero.

3. What is the advantage of using a state space representation over a transfer function?

A state space representation allows for a more comprehensive and flexible description of a system, as it can handle multiple inputs and outputs, non-linearities, and time-varying systems. It also provides information about the internal state of the system, which is not captured by a transfer function.

4. Can a state space model be converted back to a transfer function?

Yes, a state space model can be converted back to a transfer function using the inverse Laplace transform. However, this process may result in a higher-order transfer function, which may be more difficult to analyze and implement.

5. How is a state space model used in control system design?

A state space model is often used in control system design because it allows for the use of modern control techniques, such as state feedback and observer design. It also provides a more intuitive understanding of the system's behavior, making it easier to design controllers that meet specific performance criteria.