Sticky card Application of Bernoulli / Pressure incorrect?

In summary, the conversation discussed the effects of blowing air through a hole in a spool and how it relates to Bernoulli's principle. The experiment showed that even without the hole, the same result occurred. The relationship between Bernoulli's principle and the experiment was questioned, and a diagram was provided. The conversation also mentioned the possibility of using suction instead of blowing, and how the size of the hole can affect the results. It was concluded that the conversation was helpful in understanding the concept.
Fuux
Homework Statement
punch a hole with a nail through a plastic card, place a spool at the end of it and suck through it. What do you observe? Why does that happen?
Relevant Equations
Bernoulli's equation.
After doing what the instruction did, I noticed that the card stuck to the spool, and generated the hypothesis that it was the same effect as when putting two papers together and blowing through them, the lower pressure of the faster speed of the wind makes the higher pressure outside move the two papers together, but after trying the same experiment without punching a hole I got the same result, and my teacher insisted that the "Why" part of this problem used Bernoulli, so I have two questions I need help on:

How does Bernoulli's equation apply in this problem?
How does the hole affect the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, Fuux!

How did you blow without the orifice?
Could you post a diagram for both situations?

What the Bernoulli's principle states?

Thank you!

I think I was able to just inhale the air inside the spool and I think that was enough for the card to stick, but I guess I could have inhaled some air from some space between the spool and the card.
As for a diagram I was given the photo attached.

Bernoulli's principle states that pressure in a fluid goes down when its speed increases. I could imagine that His Molecular Kinetic Theory could perhaps indicate that lower amount of air particles on the spool when I inhale means less pressure exerted from these moving particles against the card, but I believe that's more of a chemistry answer and I can't see the relation with the formula my teacher talked about.

Attachments

• Bern.PNG
    Bern.PNG
    2.8 KB · Views: 130
Sorry, I have never seen this experiment done by sucking from the spool, but by blowing trough it and against the card.
That blowing creates a radial air flow between the spool and the card, depressing the static pressure on that interphase.

I can only guess that you could create the same effect by strongly sucking from the spool (leaving some gap between spool and card), except when the central hole is so big that more air goes through it than radially.

bernoulli-spool-diagram-2-300x283.png

• Informative
Likes Fuux
this was very useful anyway, Thank you!

1. What is the Sticky Card Application of Bernoulli / Pressure?

The Sticky Card Application of Bernoulli / Pressure is a scientific method used to measure the flow of air or fluid in a specific area. It involves using a sticky card, which is a small piece of paper or plastic coated with a sticky substance, to capture particles in the air or fluid and analyze their distribution.

2. How does the Sticky Card Application work?

The Sticky Card Application works by placing the sticky card in a specific location where the flow of air or fluid needs to be measured. As the air or fluid passes through the area, particles will become stuck to the sticky card. The distribution and density of the particles on the card can then be analyzed to determine the flow of the air or fluid.

3. What are the benefits of using the Sticky Card Application?

The Sticky Card Application is a non-intrusive and cost-effective method for measuring air or fluid flow. It also provides a visual representation of the flow patterns, making it easier to identify any potential issues or anomalies in the flow.

4. What are some common errors that can occur with the Sticky Card Application?

One common error that can occur with the Sticky Card Application is incorrect placement of the sticky card, which can result in inaccurate measurements. Another error can be caused by external factors such as wind or drafts, which can affect the distribution of particles on the card.

5. How can I ensure accurate results with the Sticky Card Application?

To ensure accurate results with the Sticky Card Application, it is important to carefully follow the instructions for placement and handling of the sticky card. It is also recommended to conduct multiple tests in different locations to account for any external factors that may affect the results.