Stochastic calculus:Laplace transformation of a Wiener process

In summary, stochastic calculus is a branch of mathematics that studies random processes and their derivatives. A Wiener process, also known as a Brownian motion, is a continuous-time stochastic process used to model various phenomena. The Laplace transformation is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of frequency and is commonly used in stochastic calculus to obtain the characteristic function of a Wiener process. This has numerous applications in fields such as finance, engineering, and physics.
the_dane

Homework Statement

I am asked to show that [tex] E[\exp(a*W_t)]=\exp(\frac{a^2t}{2}) [/tex]
Let's define: [tex] Z_t = \exp(a*W_t)[/tex]
W_t is a wiener process

Homework Equations

[tex] W_t \sim N(0,\sqrt{t}) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to use the following formula.
if Y has density f_Y and there's a ral function g then the following holds:
[tex] E[g(Y)] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(u)f_Y(u)du[/tex]
In my Case:
[tex] E(Z_t)= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp(a*u) \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \sqrt{t}}} \exp(-(u)^2/ 2\sqrt{t})du[/tex]
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \sqrt{t}}} \exp(a*u-(u)^2/ 2\sqrt{t})du[/tex].
Then I notice; IF [tex]= \exp(a*u-(u)^2/s\sqrt{t}) = \exp(-(u-\exp(\frac{a^2t}{2}))^2/ 2\sqrt{t}) [/tex].
Then Z_t must be normally distributed with mean [tex]\exp(\frac{a^2t}{2})[/tex]
Unfortunately my creativity ends here and I cannot show the last part. It should "just" simple "moving terms around" though, right?

Please confirm that my approach is correct and please help me finish. thx

Physics news on Phys.org
the_dane said:

Homework Statement

I am asked to show that [tex] E[\exp(a*W_t)]=\exp(\frac{a^2t}{2}) [/tex]
Let's define: [tex] Z_t = \exp(a*W_t)[/tex]
W_t is a wiener process

Homework Equations

[tex] W_t \sim N(0,\sqrt{t}) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to use the following formula.
if Y has density f_Y and there's a ral function g then the following holds:
[tex] E[g(Y)] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(u)f_Y(u)du[/tex]
In my Case:
[tex] E(Z_t)= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp(a*u) \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \sqrt{t}}} \exp(-(u)^2/ 2\sqrt{t})du[/tex]
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \sqrt{t}}} \exp(a*u-(u)^2/ 2\sqrt{t})du[/tex].
Then I notice; IF [tex]= \exp(a*u-(u)^2/s\sqrt{t}) = \exp(-(u-\exp(\frac{a^2t}{2}))^2/ 2\sqrt{t}) [/tex].
Then Z_t must be normally distributed with mean [tex]\exp(\frac{a^2t}{2})[/tex]
Unfortunately my creativity ends here and I cannot show the last part. It should "just" simple "moving terms around" though, right?

Please confirm that my approach is correct and please help me finish. thx

This just involves the moment-generating function of the normal distribution. It does not really use any deep results about Wiener processes, just the fact that ##W_t \sim \text{N}(0,\sqrt{t})##.

See, eg., https://www.le.ac.uk/users/dsgp1/COURSES/MATHSTAT/6normgf.pdf

You did not get the Wiener process correctly, it is ##W_t \sim \mathcal N (0,t)##, not ##\mathcal N(0,\sqrt{t})##, i.e., the variance is ##t##, not ##\sqrt t##. What is ##\sqrt t## is the standard deviation. This propagates to your expressions for the pdf.

Once this is corrected, it should just be a matter of completing the square in the argument of the exponent, changing variables in the integral, and performing the resulting Gaussian integral.

Orodruin said:
You did not get the Wiener process correctly, it is ##W_t \sim \mathcal N (0,t)##, not ##\mathcal N(0,\sqrt{t})##, i.e., the variance is ##t##, not ##\sqrt t##. What is ##\sqrt t## is the standard deviation. This propagates to your expressions for the pdf.

Once this is corrected, it should just be a matter of completing the square in the argument of the exponent, changing variables in the integral, and performing the resulting Gaussian integral.

Some sources use the notation ##N(\mu,\sigma)## while others use ##N(\mu,\sigma^2)##. As long as the OP uses notation consistent with his/her textbook or course notes, that is sufficient.

Ray Vickson said:
As long as the OP uses notation consistent with his/her textbook or course notes, that is sufficient.
I agree, but this is not the case. The pdf used by the OP has variance ##\sqrt{t}##, not ##t##.

Edit: Of course, all this will do is to change the ##t## in the correct answer to a ##\sqrt t##. More generally, the expectation of ##\exp(aX)## where ##X\sim \mathcal N(0,\sigma^2)## would be ##\exp(a^2\sigma^2/2)##. Regardless, the way forward is the same. Complete the square, change variables, integrate.

Orodruin said:
I agree, but this is not the case. The pdf used by the OP has variance ##\sqrt{t}##, not ##t##.

OK: I did not notice that. Well spotted.

Edit: Of course, all this will do is to change the ##t## in the correct answer to a ##\sqrt t##. More generally, the expectation of ##\exp(aX)## where ##X\sim \mathcal N(0,\sigma^2)## would be ##\exp(a^2\sigma^2/2)##. Regardless, the way forward is the same. Complete the square, change variables, integrate.

1. What is stochastic calculus?

Stochastic calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of random processes and their derivatives. It is used to model and analyze systems that involve random variables, such as financial markets, weather patterns, and biological processes.

2. What is a Wiener process?

A Wiener process, also known as a Brownian motion, is a continuous-time stochastic process that describes the random movement of particles. It is often used in stochastic calculus as a model for the behavior of a wide range of phenomena, from financial prices to molecular motion.

3. What is the Laplace transformation?

The Laplace transformation is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of frequency. It is commonly used to solve differential equations and to transform time-domain signals into the frequency domain, making it a powerful tool in the study of stochastic processes.

4. How is the Laplace transformation used in stochastic calculus?

In stochastic calculus, the Laplace transformation is used to obtain the characteristic function of a Wiener process. This allows for the calculation of various statistical properties of the process, such as its mean, variance, and higher moments.

5. What are the applications of Laplace transformation of a Wiener process?

The Laplace transformation of a Wiener process has numerous applications in various fields, including finance, engineering, and physics. It is commonly used to model and analyze the behavior of financial assets, to study the diffusion of particles in a fluid, and to understand the dynamics of complex systems.