Stochastic Matrices in Cosmology

In summary: He has written a few papers on the topic.Andy AlbrechtIn summary, stochastic matrices play an important role in cosmology and astrophysics, and their mathematical basis was discovered by Karlin.
TRB8985
Good afternoon all,

I'm taking a linear algebra course this semester, and upon entering the topic of 'Applications of Matrix Operations', my professor has given our class the opportunity to earn some extra credit points by writing a paragraph or two on the application of stochastic matrices in any particular field we like.

I'd really like to find some kind of material on some applications of stochastic matrices in cosmology, but unfortunately a large majority of the content out there is locked out from public access without shelling out a hefty fee to some organization or institute.

Could any professionals out there give just a small handful of examples of these kinds of matrices in cosmology or astrophysics? Or even better, shoot a link or two to some interesting tidbits of info on this topic? It would be very highly appreciated.

Thanks, and enjoy your upcoming weekends!

Space news on Phys.org
Most cosmology papers have free preprints available at arxiv.org. http://scholar.google.com is also very useful for finding free copies of scientific papers in general, if they exist online.

I addition to what Chalnoth said, university libraries often subscribe to relevant journals. You may want to check with your university library to see if things that are behind a paywall when you search on your own is available at your university.

Orodruin said:
I addition to what Chalnoth said, university libraries often subscribe to relevant journals. You may want to check with your university library to see if things that are behind a paywall when you search on your own is available at your university.
Or any computer on campus, really.

As for the OP, sorry that I don't have anything more specific to add. I haven't ever encountered stochastic matrices in cosmology.

Chalnoth said:
As for the OP, sorry that I don't have anything more specific to add. I haven't ever encountered stochastic matrices in cosmology.
Implications of the Reduction Principle for Cosmological Natural Selection maybe?

When mechanisms of variation themselves vary, they are subject to Feldman’s (1972) evolutionary Reduction Principle that selection favors greater faithfulness of replication. A theorem of Karlin (1982) allows one to generalize this principle beyond biological genetics to the unknown inheritance laws that would operate in CNS. The reduction principle for CNS is illustrated with a general multitype branching process model of universe creation containing competing inheritance laws. The most faithful inheritance law dominates the ensemble of universes. The Reduction Principle thus provides a mechanism to account for high fidelity of inheritance between universes.
the mathematical basis of the Reduction Principle was discovered by Karlin [25] (although he did not realize it) in a fundamental theorem on the interaction between growth and mixing: in a system of objects that (1) are changed from one state to another by some transformation processes, and (2) grow or decay in number depending on their state, then greater mixing produces slower growth or faster decay. To be precise, Karlin’s theorem states:
Theorem 1 (Karlin [25, Theorem 5.2]).
Let M be an irreducible stochastic matrix, and D a diagonal matrix with positive diagonal elements.
etc.

Garth

Last edited:
Likes TRB8985

1. What are stochastic matrices?

Stochastic matrices are square matrices whose entries represent probabilities. They are used to model random processes, where each entry in the matrix represents the probability of transitioning from one state to another.

2. How are stochastic matrices used in cosmology?

Stochastic matrices are used in cosmology to model the evolution of the universe. They can be used to study the dynamics of large-scale structures, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters, and to make predictions about the distribution of matter in the universe.

3. Can stochastic matrices be used to study the early universe?

Yes, stochastic matrices can be used to study the early universe. They can be used to model the behavior of particles in the early universe, and to make predictions about the formation of structures such as stars and galaxies.

4. How do stochastic matrices relate to other mathematical concepts in cosmology?

Stochastic matrices are closely related to other mathematical concepts used in cosmology, such as Markov chains. They are also used in conjunction with other mathematical tools, such as differential equations, to model complex systems in cosmology.

5. What are some practical applications of stochastic matrices in cosmology?

Stochastic matrices have many practical applications in cosmology, such as predicting the distribution of matter in the universe, studying the formation of structures, and understanding the dynamics of dark matter. They can also be used to test and validate cosmological theories and simulations.