Strategies to Overcome Stuckness in Math Physics Course

• Studying
  • Thread starter Mulz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the student is having difficulty with a course in Mathematical Physics and is looking for help. The student has tried different strategies but is not succeeding. The student has not done well so far and is feeling overwhelmed. The student is trying to ask questions in the lecture but is not succeeding. The student is looking for other resources. The student is ambitious.
Mulz
I'm currently in my second year of physics undergrad. My problem right now is that in one course named Mathematical Physics, I keep getting stuck. When I get stuck I re-read the entire chapter several times carefully and try to solve the problems but I'm unable.

I resort to looking at the examples which there are very few of. I try to solve the first few problems which arguably should be easier but they are not. There are no solutions so I can't get an idea of what to do. When I search the internet for e.g. singular fields I find no information and thus this book is all I can go on.

What should I do? I try to use different strategies but unable to solve the problems. I don't even properly grasp the theory. It feels like in this particular book, there are very few examples and non explanatory examples, almost as if it was made for someone that already had done the course. The problems difficulty curve starts at the top is what it feels like.

What strategies can I use? I never go on office hours because I'm not flexible. So far it's only one/two chapters I'm having issues with. I don't want is to happen to every future chapter.

Likes member 587159
Physics news on Phys.org
I would make advantage of what I have here on PF. In our homework section - and yes, it is meant for textbook questions as well, just ignore the name - you will get excellent and quite inexpensive tutorials. All it costs is some good preparation of the question and a bit of an effort to solve it.

I would see how this will work and whether I could improve by this method. Tips and tricks are often very individual, i.e. what might work for me doesn't necessarily work for you. However, after a while in the homework section, helpers and mentors can very likely give you a better recommendation than from scratch.

Likes SchroedingersLion
On top of fresh_42 's answer:
Ask questions in the lecture, ask questions when the exercises are presented. Find out wether the lecturer has office hours where students can come and ask questions outside of the lecture. Find other books you can use. Talk to your colleagues. You sound like you are ambitious. If you are ambitious you should make friends with guys who are ambitious like you (or even more). You could work together and talk about the material.

1. What are some common strategies for overcoming stuckness in math and physics courses?

Some common strategies for overcoming stuckness in math and physics courses include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking help from peers or teachers, taking breaks to clear your mind, and practicing regularly to build problem-solving skills.

2. How can I improve my critical thinking skills in math and physics?

Improving critical thinking skills in math and physics can be done by practicing regularly, challenging yourself with difficult problems, and seeking different perspectives and approaches to solving problems. Additionally, learning to identify and avoid common mistakes can also help improve critical thinking skills.

3. What should I do if I feel overwhelmed while studying math and physics?

If you feel overwhelmed while studying math and physics, take a break to clear your mind and come back to the material later. It can also be helpful to break down the material into smaller chunks and focus on one concept at a time. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also alleviate feelings of overwhelm.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying math and physics?

Staying motivated while studying math and physics can be challenging, but setting specific goals and tracking your progress can help. Additionally, finding a study group or partner can provide accountability and support. Remember to also take breaks and reward yourself for your hard work.

5. Are there any specific tips for improving problem-solving skills in math and physics?

To improve problem-solving skills in math and physics, it can be helpful to break down problems into smaller parts, practice regularly, and seek different perspectives and approaches. Additionally, learning from mistakes and seeking help from peers or teachers can also aid in improving problem-solving skills.