Strength of Materials Stress Question

In summary, to avoid exceeding the average shearing stress of 2.25 MPa, the dimension "a" must be used that is equal to the length from the timber truss parallel to the grain.
coolguy16

Homework Statement

Member AD of the timber truss (shown in attachment) is framed into the 100 x 150 mm bottom chord ABC as shown in the insert. Determine the dimension "a" that must be used if the average shearing stress parallel to the grain at the ends of chord ABC is not to exceed 2.25 MPa.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

T=V/A
I found the tension in AB to be 12 kN and the tension in AD to be -15 kN. I'm confused on how to find V and the cross section area? What would the thickness be of the the bottom chord according to this figure? Thanks.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
Negative tension is compression. What is the horizontal force at the joint tending to shear (horizontally tear at the notch ) the bottom chord over the width a? What is the shear area you should use to calculate the shear stress ?

Hey thanks for replying. The horizontal force of the bottom chord would be equal to the tension of AB which would be 12kN. So summing the forces in the y-direction,
∑Fy = V = 12 kN. (I'm not sure if this value is correct.) I still do not understand the cross sectional area. The question states that the timber truss is framed into a 100 x 150 mm bottom chord but the diagram shows 100 mm and 50 mm. I'm not sure which number represents the width or depth. Can you please explain this part to me? Thanks.

coolguy16 said:
Hey thanks for replying. The horizontal force of the bottom chord would be equal to the tension of AB which would be 12kN. So summing the forces in the y-direction,
∑Fy = V = 12 kN. (I'm not sure if this value is correct.) I still do not understand the cross sectional area. The question states that the timber truss is framed into a 100 x 150 mm bottom chord but the diagram shows 100 mm and 50 mm. I'm not sure which number represents the width or depth. Can you please explain this part to me? Thanks.
If you look at the detail of the joint carefully, you'll see that the total depth of the member is 100 mm + 50 mm = 150 mm from top to bottom.

Since the timber is specified as being 150 mm × 100 mm, this implies that the width of bottom chord is 100 mm.

So 100 x 150 -mm is referring to width x depth, thus the cross section would be a x width?

Yes.

Just to clarify, does the "a" represent the length from the timber truss parallel to the grain?

coolguy16 said:
Just to clarify, does the "a" represent the length from the timber truss parallel to the grain?
The dimension a is as shown. Shear area is area in the same plane as shear force.

Alright thanks for the help.

1. What is the definition of stress in strength of materials?

Stress in strength of materials is defined as a measure of the internal forces acting on a material per unit area. It is typically represented by the symbol σ (sigma) and is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch or newtons per square meter.

2. What are the different types of stress in strength of materials?

The three main types of stress in strength of materials are tensile stress, compressive stress, and shear stress. Tensile stress occurs when a material is pulled apart, compressive stress occurs when a material is squeezed together, and shear stress occurs when a material is subject to forces acting in opposite directions parallel to its surface.

3. How is stress calculated in strength of materials?

Stress is calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the material. This is known as the stress formula, σ = F/A, where σ is stress, F is force, and A is the cross-sectional area. The resulting unit of stress will depend on the units used for force and area.

4. What is the relationship between stress and strain in strength of materials?

Stress and strain are related through the material's modulus of elasticity, also known as Young's modulus. This is a measure of a material's stiffness and is represented by the letter E. The relationship between stress and strain is described by Hooke's Law, which states that stress is directly proportional to strain, with the proportionality constant being the material's modulus of elasticity.

5. How does stress affect the strength and durability of a material?

The level of stress a material experiences can significantly impact its strength and durability. When a material is subjected to high levels of stress, it may reach its yield point, which is the point at which it begins to permanently deform. If the stress is not relieved, it can lead to failure of the material. However, controlled stress can also be beneficial in strengthening a material, as it can cause it to become more resilient and resistant to future stressors.