Strength Testing Welded Steel Tubing and Bolts for a Weight Lifting Bench

In summary, the box section steel tubing, 400mm long, 5 x 10cm section, 3mm thick has a foot welded to the bottom which stabilises it at the floor. It is a weight lifting bench and the bolts attaching the section to the leg are capable of a proof load of more than 5000KG. If it is theoretically weaker, what if I welded the join?
Monkey
I had a piece of box section steel tubing, 400mm long, 5 x 10cm section, 3mm thick. It has a foot welded to the bottom which stabilises it at the floor (this is in red). It is a weight lifting bench.

I needed to shorten the length, so I cut it in two and overlapped a join, then fixed it with 3 x 14mm Bolts. I have attached a screenshot of what I have done. According to what information I can find on bolts they are capable of a proof load of more than 5000KG (M12 are 4890, M6 are 9100KG - I couldn't find data for 14mm).

How can I work out the load which can be applied to the bolts before they will fail? I´m thinking that the bolts are more than capable of holding the box section together and that in reality the box section would probably crease/bend before the bolts ever snapped.
load.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
EDIT: (M12 are 4890, M16 are 9100KG - I couldn't find data for 14mm).

I think that's a high-risk design you have there. Off the top of my head, I would be worried about too many holes weakening the strut and your edge/hole and hole/hole spacing (I figure this isn't drawn to scale, but thought I'd mention it). The failure mode in the bolts will be shear, but remember that the bolted joint will have some friction force associated with it, so it'll increase the shear load that the joint can take before failure. I would think the bearing stress in the member would be pretty high as well. I think there's more to consider than just proof load of your bolts.

Yes, sorry, good point about the scaling. The overlapping part is actually much larger than the bolt diameter, each bolt is an M14mm and the overlapping metal is 90mm x 100mm. The bolts are also not on top of each other as the picture would indicate, there are 2 on top and one middle below - attached is a simplified image of the bolts position.

At the end of the day the maximum load the bench will probably ever take is 200KG - The original bench is rated at 270+KG, I haven't changed the angle of the leg at all, I just cut it down and overlapped the join as I needed it to be shorter

My view at the time was that the bolts are so strong that even with a direct shear load of 300kg per bolt they wouldn't shear, and as much as 300kg is never going to happen, not even 300kg for the whole joint. I suppose my real question is, have I weakened that leg by cutting and then bolting it?

If it is theoretically weaker, what if I welded the join?

Thanks for your feedback.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 8.24.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 8.24.04 AM.png
    2 KB · Views: 572

1. How do you determine the strength of welded steel tubing and bolts for a weight lifting bench?

The strength of welded steel tubing and bolts for a weight lifting bench is determined through various tests, including tension testing, compression testing, and shear testing. These tests evaluate the maximum amount of weight or force that the materials can withstand before breaking.

2. What factors can affect the strength of welded steel tubing and bolts?

The strength of welded steel tubing and bolts can be affected by various factors such as the quality of the materials used, the welding technique, the design of the joints, and the type of load or force applied. Environmental factors like temperature and humidity can also impact the strength of these materials.

3. Why is it important to test the strength of welded steel tubing and bolts for a weight lifting bench?

It is essential to test the strength of welded steel tubing and bolts for a weight lifting bench to ensure that the materials can withstand the necessary weight and forces without breaking or failing. This is crucial for the safety of the weight lifter and to prevent any accidents or injuries.

4. What are the industry standards for strength testing welded steel tubing and bolts for a weight lifting bench?

There are various industry standards for strength testing welded steel tubing and bolts for a weight lifting bench, including ASTM International standards and American Welding Society standards. These standards provide guidelines for the testing methods and equipment used to evaluate the strength of these materials.

5. Can the strength of welded steel tubing and bolts be improved?

Yes, the strength of welded steel tubing and bolts can be improved through various methods such as using higher quality materials, improving welding techniques, and optimizing the design of the joints. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help to ensure that the materials remain strong and safe for use in weight lifting benches.