Stress at crack tip of a 2D cantilever beam under sinusoidal excitation

In summary: However, it could also depend on the type of loading and the material properties of the beam. It would be best to consult with a supervisor or conduct further research on the topic to determine the most accurate stress to follow for the crack propagation at the crack tip.
Rony shaha
I need some information urgently. I am working on crack of a 2-D cantilever beam. One side of the beam is fixed. I am applying a sinusoidal time varying load on other end in Y-direction.Beam length and width are 100cm and 10cm respectively. crack is 05 cm in y-direction. I have attached data and drawing for my questions.

I want to know which stress should I follow for the crack propagation at crack tip. is it principle stress in y -direction or any other stress? Please give me some advice

Attachments

• Document4.pdf
    105.2 KB · Views: 255
Engineering news on Phys.org
Rony shaha said:
I need some information urgently. I am working on crack of a 2-D cantilever beam. One side of the beam is fixed. I am applying a sinusoidal time varying load on other end in Y-direction.Beam length and width are 100cm and 10cm respectively. crack is 05 cm in y-direction. I have attached data and drawing for my questions.

I want to know which stress should I follow for the crack propagation at crack tip. is it principle stress in y -direction or any other stress? Please give me some advice

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context for your question? Are you working in a material testing lab, or is this for schoolwork?

I am Graduate student. This is my research topic.

Rony shaha said:
I am Graduate student. This is my research topic.

Okay, thanks. Normally schoolwork goes in the Homework Help forums, but for graduate-level questions, they can be posted in the technical forums as long as you show lots of your work. Can you post what you think the correct answer is and why?

I think the possible answer is principle stress in y-direction

1. What is the significance of studying stress at the crack tip of a 2D cantilever beam?

The crack tip is the most critical location in a structure as it is where stress concentration and potential failure can occur. Understanding the stress at this point is crucial for analyzing the structural integrity and predicting the fatigue life of the beam.

2. How does sinusoidal excitation affect the stress at the crack tip?

Sinusoidal excitation refers to a repeated loading pattern that can cause dynamic stress and strain in a structure. It can significantly increase the stress at the crack tip, leading to accelerated fatigue and potential failure.

3. Can the stress at the crack tip of a 2D cantilever beam be accurately calculated?

Yes, there are various analytical and numerical methods available to calculate the stress at the crack tip of a 2D cantilever beam. However, the accuracy of the results depends on the complexity and assumptions of the model used.

4. What are some factors that can affect the stress at the crack tip?

The stress at the crack tip is influenced by various factors, such as the loading conditions, material properties, geometry of the beam, and presence of any pre-existing cracks. The frequency and amplitude of the sinusoidal excitation can also significantly impact the stress at the crack tip.

5. How can the stress at the crack tip be minimized?

To minimize the stress at the crack tip, engineers can use design modifications such as changing the geometry of the beam or using materials with higher fatigue strength. Additionally, controlling the loading conditions and avoiding excessive dynamic loading can also help reduce stress at the crack tip.