Stress/Strain Curve from a few values?

• Thread starter kieren12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for supporting welds to meet an impact requirement of 1.3kJ. The speaker has information about the weld deposit and is looking for formulas to create a stress-strain curve to estimate the energy absorption of the material. They are advised to plot three points on the curve (EL, YP, UTS) using the given information and use the area under the curve to calculate the strain energy density. This value should be greater than the impact requirement, but less than or equal to 3.6kJ. If not, a different weld joint may be needed.
kieren12345
Hi all,

I am trying to ensure that some supporting welds for a structure will meet the impact requirement of 1.3kJ.

I have the following information for the weld deposit:
UTS: 759 MPa
0.2% Proof: 598MPa
18.6% El
69.9% RofA

Is there any formulas that I can use to create a fairly accurate stress strain curve? I need the curve so that I can estimate the energy absorbtion of the material.

I cannot just over engineer this weld as with an impact of 3.6kJ the weld must break.

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated as this is the first time I have done anything like this.

Thanks

Kieren

Engineering news on Phys.org
so u have a ductile material in ur hands. i can tell u how to find 3 points on the curve. i don't knw wat RofA means but i guess it'll help u get a more accurate shape or more points for the curve.

To draw the whole curve, u hav the EL i don't what the unit in %age means but i guess u can direcly plot it on the graph. if u can't then u can use the relation EL=stress/strain and just plot the point (1,EL).

u have 0.2% proof = 598Mpa. so u plot 0.2% point on the strain axis and draw a line parallel to the proportional line (the line from origin to the EL). u have the corresponding stress at 598Mpa and so now u have the yield point.

next u have the ultimate tensile stress, you divide it by the EL and you get the corresponding strain at that point. and then you plot the point.

so u have 3 points on the curve (EL, YP, UTS). u draw a straight line connecting the origin to the EL. i don't know how u would join the other points :(. mayb plot it in excel and see wat it shows. anyway, a straight line will give u an approximate value and can be easily calculated, area under a curve would be a pain to calculate. if u knw MATLAB then u can use tht.

now this area under the curve will be your strain energy density (u).we have the relation u= energy/volume. volume=area*length. you probably have this data from your structure. calculate the energy corresponding to the area under the graph.

now you have your impact requirement of 1.3kJ, so the energy that you had calculated earlier should be greater than this (take a suitable FOS), but less than or equal to 3.6KJ. if it isn't then u probably need a different weld joint.

correct me if m wrong, and i hope this helps. :)

Related to Stress/Strain Curve from a few values?

1. What is a stress-strain curve?

A stress-strain curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the stress (force applied per unit area) and strain (deformation) of a material. It provides valuable information about the mechanical properties of a material, such as its stiffness, strength, and ductility.

2. How is a stress-strain curve created?

A stress-strain curve is created by subjecting a material to gradually increasing amounts of stress, while measuring the corresponding strain. The data collected is then plotted on a graph with stress on the y-axis and strain on the x-axis.

3. What are the different regions of a stress-strain curve?

A stress-strain curve typically has three distinct regions: the elastic region, the plastic region, and the failure region. In the elastic region, the material exhibits linear behavior and returns to its original shape after the stress is removed. In the plastic region, the material begins to deform permanently. In the failure region, the material reaches its maximum stress and ultimately breaks.

4. What information can be obtained from a stress-strain curve?

A stress-strain curve can provide important information about the behavior and strength of a material. It can indicate the stiffness (slope of the curve in the elastic region), strength (maximum stress before failure), and ductility (amount of plastic deformation before failure) of a material. It can also identify the point of fracture and the type of fracture that occurs.

5. How does temperature affect a stress-strain curve?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the shape and behavior of a stress-strain curve. It can affect the material's strength, ductility, and stiffness, as well as the point at which it fails. High temperatures can cause a material to become more malleable and less strong, resulting in a flatter and smoother stress-strain curve. Low temperatures can make a material more brittle and prone to sudden failure, causing a steeper and more jagged curve.