Stress strain laboratory question

In summary, the conversation discusses establishing a constitutive relationship for a cantilever beam material and generating a plot for this relationship. The conversation also mentions using a rosette gauge and precision micrometer for data collection. The notation for the constitutive relationship is explained, and the question of what kind of material follows the given graph is raised, with suggestions to find the elastic modulus of the material and consult tables for further information.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

Establish the constitutive relationship for the cantilever beam material, i.e., provide an empirical formula for the relationship σxxxxxx) and generate a plot of this relationship. What is the cantilever beam material?

Homework Equations

This is a pure beam bending theory lab, rosette gauge on beam with loads and displacements from a precision micrometer.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure what this question is asking. Also I'm confused about the equation. Wouldn't the stress xx just cancel out and εxx=1?? I got a bunch of data on the beam from the rosette gauge, but I don't really get this question. Any help on shedding what its asking would be great. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greetings xzibition8612! The notation [itex]\sigma_{xx}(\epsilon_{xx})[/itex] means "find [itex]\sigma_{xx}[/itex] as a function of [itex]\epsilon_{xx}[/itex]". For example, a beam under uniaxial tension might obey [itex]\sigma_{xx}(\epsilon_{xx}) = E\epsilon_{xx}[/itex], where [itex]E[/itex] is the elastic modulus.

alright i figured it out using your formula. So this is my result. Now the question is what kind of material follows this graph? Anyone know or where can i find this info? By the way strain is in micro strain, or 10^-6.

thanks

Attachments

• pictures.jpg
    pictures.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 363
Given your graph you should be able to find the elastic modulus of the material. Then you may need to consult some tables to see which material has that same elastic modulus.

I would suggest approaching this question by first clarifying any confusion about the equation and the data collected. It is important to fully understand the concepts and variables involved before attempting to establish a constitutive relationship for the cantilever beam material. This relationship is a mathematical representation of how stress (σxx) is related to strain (εxx) for the specific material being studied.

To establish this relationship, you can use the data collected from the rosette gauge on the beam and plot it on a graph, with stress (σxx) on the y-axis and strain (εxx) on the x-axis. This will help to visualize the relationship between the two variables and identify any trends or patterns.

The cantilever beam material refers to the specific material used for the beam in this experiment. It could be any type of material, such as metal, wood, or plastic. The empirical formula for the constitutive relationship will be unique to this specific material and can be used to predict the stress-strain behavior of similar materials.

In summary, the goal of this laboratory question is to establish a mathematical relationship between stress and strain for a specific material, using data collected from the beam. It is important to fully understand the concepts and equations involved before attempting to solve the problem.

1. What is stress strain analysis?

Stress strain analysis is a method used to determine the mechanical properties of a material, such as its stiffness, strength, and ductility, by subjecting it to controlled forces and measuring the resulting deformations.

2. How is stress strain data obtained in a laboratory setting?

In a laboratory setting, stress strain data is typically obtained by applying a known force to a material and measuring the resulting deformation using specialized equipment such as a tensile testing machine or a strain gauge.

3. What is the difference between stress and strain?

Stress is the force applied to a material per unit area, while strain is the resulting deformation or change in shape of the material. In other words, stress is the cause of deformation, while strain is the effect.

4. What factors can influence the stress strain behavior of a material?

The stress strain behavior of a material can be influenced by factors such as temperature, strain rate, and the presence of defects or impurities in the material. Additionally, the type of loading (tension, compression, bending) and the material's microstructure can also affect its stress strain behavior.

5. How is the stress strain relationship represented graphically?

The stress strain relationship is typically represented by a stress strain curve, which plots the applied stress on the y-axis and the resulting strain on the x-axis. The curve can provide valuable information about the material's mechanical properties, such as its yield strength, ultimate strength, and modulus of elasticity.