Stripping ions from exchange resin

In summary: If resin has polystyrene sulfonate, boiling water should work. If not, then I would try using a stronger acid
Strange_matter
TL;DR Summary
I want to remove the hydrogen ions from a cation exchange resin. I believe it uses polystyrene sulfonate.
I want to strip the hydrogen ion from a cation exchange resin. Would it be feasible to do this using hot water? I've tried using water at somewhere above 130 degrees Fahrenheit I believe, but I didn't see any immediate decrease in pH. I believe the resin uses polystyrene sulfonate. Should I use boiling water? I'm concerned about degrading the resin. I want to use the deionized resin to remove the sodium from sodium bicarbonate. It would also be nice to be able to use the solution of hydrogen ions as well.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What does the manufacturer say?

Somehow I don't get what you say. Ions are not "stripped" but replaced. What do you want to replace H+ with using just water?

Resin that adsorbed metal cations can be regenerated by using an acid - H+ will replace the cations. You can get the same effect with copious amounts of water - cations will get replaced with H+ from water autodissociation (although amount of water required makes this process unpractical).

So, back to my question: what do you want to replace H+ with using just water?

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
Borek said:
Somehow I don't get what you say. Ions are not "stripped" but replaced. What do you want to replace H+ with using just water?

Resin that adsorbed metal cations can be regenerated by using an acid - H+ will replace the cations. You can get the same effect with copious amounts of water - cations will get replaced with H+ from water autodissociation (although amount of water required makes this process unpractical).

So, back to my question: what do you want to replace H+ with using just water?
That is typically how it works, but couldn't I in theory remove the hydrogen from the resin? There should be some degree of dissociation, and I believe polystyrene sulfonate should be a fairly strong acid. I don't want to replace the hydrogen with other cations, as is typical.

So what then? Are you expecting to get a solution full of unbalanced H+ ions, and a resin full of unbalanced sulfonate anions? Good luck with that!

Likes symbolipoint
mjc123 said:
So what then? Are you expecting to get a solution full of unbalanced H+ ions, and a resin full of unbalanced sulfonate anions? Good luck with that!
In theory there should be some dissociation of ions, and I can exchange water once it reaches equilibrium to continue removing hydrogen ions. I want to use hot water to encourage dissociation, but I'm unsure why I'm not seeing a decrease in pH.

Strange_matter said:
In theory there should be some dissociation of ions, and I can exchange water once it reaches equilibrium to continue removing hydrogen ions. I want to use hot water to encourage dissociation, but I'm unsure why I'm not seeing a decrease in pH.
Best to recheck post #3 what @Borek said.

1. What is the purpose of stripping ions from exchange resin?

The purpose of stripping ions from exchange resin is to regenerate the resin and restore its ion exchange capacity. This process removes any accumulated ions from the resin and allows it to be reused for further ion exchange reactions.

2. How is the stripping process carried out?

The stripping process is typically carried out by passing a regenerating solution through the resin bed. This solution contains a high concentration of ions that compete with the ions on the resin for binding sites. As a result, the ions on the resin are displaced and released into the solution.

3. What factors influence the efficiency of stripping ions from exchange resin?

The efficiency of stripping ions from exchange resin can be influenced by several factors, including the concentration and composition of the regenerating solution, the flow rate of the solution through the resin bed, and the contact time between the solution and the resin. Other factors such as temperature and pH can also play a role.

4. Can all types of ions be stripped from exchange resin?

No, not all types of ions can be stripped from exchange resin. Some ions have a stronger affinity for the resin and may require more aggressive regenerating solutions or specialized techniques for efficient removal. Additionally, some resins may be more selective for certain types of ions, making it difficult to strip others from the resin.

5. How often should ion exchange resin be stripped?

The frequency of stripping ion exchange resin depends on the specific application and the amount of ions being exchanged. In general, the resin should be stripped when its capacity for ion exchange has been reached, which can be determined through regular monitoring of the ion concentration in the effluent solution. However, other factors such as resin degradation or fouling may also require more frequent stripping.