Strong Law of large numbers question.

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the strong law of large numbers and its application to a sequence of independent random variables. The individual is unsure how to prove or disprove the assertion that the same law does not apply to the sequence Y_n=max(X_n,X_{n+1}). They suggest using the fact that the expectation value of |X[n]| is less than 5, but are unsure how to incorporate it into the proof. They seek advice from others on how to solve the question.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I have this question which I am puzzled from, hope someone can help me here.

Prove/disprove:
If X[n] is a sequence of independent random variables, s.t for each n E(|X[n]|)<5 (E is the expecatation value) and the stong law doesn't apply to this sequence, then the same law doesn't apply on the sequence [tex]Y_n=max(X_n,X_{n+1})[/tex].

Any tips on how to solve this question, I think the assertion is correct, not sure how to show it though, I mean: [tex]P(|\frac{\sum_{i=0}^{n}X_i}{n}-\frac{\sum_{i=0}^{n}E(X_i)}{n}|>=\epsilon)[/tex] doesn't converge to zero as n approaches infinity, so I need to show that the same also applies to Y[n], or to show that its complement doesn't converge to 1.

So, [tex]P((|\frac{\sum_{i=0}^{n}Y_i}{n}-\frac{\sum_{i=0}^{n}E(Y_i)}{n}|<\epsilon)>=1-\frac{Var(Y_n)}{n^2\epsilon^2}[/tex].
Now [tex]Var(Y_n)=E(Y^2_n )-E(Y_n)^2[/tex], now here I need to use that E(|X[n]|)<5, but not sure how.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Related to Strong Law of large numbers question.

What is the Strong Law of Large Numbers?

The Strong Law of Large Numbers is a mathematical theorem that describes the behavior of the average of a large number of independent and identically distributed random variables. It states that as the number of trials or experiments increases, the average of the outcomes will approach the expected value.

What is the difference between the Strong Law of Large Numbers and the Weak Law of Large Numbers?

The Strong Law of Large Numbers guarantees that the sample average converges to the expected value almost surely, while the Weak Law of Large Numbers only guarantees convergence in probability.

How is the Strong Law of Large Numbers used in real-world applications?

The Strong Law of Large Numbers is used in various fields such as statistics, economics, and finance to make predictions and estimate unknown parameters based on a large sample of data.

Is the Strong Law of Large Numbers always applicable?

No, the Strong Law of Large Numbers is only applicable when the random variables in the sample are independent and identically distributed. If this assumption is not met, the law may not hold.

Can the Strong Law of Large Numbers be proven?

Yes, the Strong Law of Large Numbers has been mathematically proven and is a fundamental theorem in probability theory.