"structure" on the cosets → normal?

In summary: By the definition of a subgroup, $H$ is not normal in $G$. However, there is a coset $H^* = \{\textbf{du},du\}$ which is normal in $G/H^*$: $du = gdu = 1$.
Swlabr1
Let $H\leq G$, where $G$ is some infinite group, and there exists some $g\in G$ such that the set $\{g^n: n\in\mathbb{Z}\}$ is a transversal for $G/H$. Then is $H$ normal in $G$?

I suspect not. However, I cannot seem to find a counter-example.

(By "a transversal for $G/H$" I mean that

1) $g^nH=g^mH\Rightarrow m=n$

2) if $hH$ is a coset of $G/H$ then there exists some $n\in\mathbb{Z}$ such that $g^nh^{-1}\in H$

so the powers of $g$ form a set of coset representatives for $G/H$, and no two of these representatives lie in the same coset.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: "structure" on the cosets $\Rightarrow$ normal?

Swlabr said:
Let $H\leq G$, where $G$ is some infinite group, and there exists some $g\in G$ such that the set $\{g^n: n\in\mathbb{Z}\}$ is a transversal for $G/H$. Then is $H$ normal in $G$?

I suspect not. However, I cannot seem to find a counter-example.

(By "a transversal for $G/H$" I mean that

1) $g^nH=g^mH\Rightarrow m=n$

2) if $hH$ is a coset of $G/H$ then there exists some $n\in\mathbb{Z}$ such that $g^nh^{-1}\in H$

so the powers of $g$ form a set of coset representatives for $G/H$, and no two of these representatives lie in the same coset.)

Hi Swlabr, :)

Does \(G/H\) stands for the quotient group ? In that case all the other parts of the question are redundant since by definition of quotient groups \(H\) should be normal in \(G\).

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Re: "structure" on the cosets $\Rightarrow$ normal?

What about the (non-normal) subgroup $\mathbb{Z}/2$ as a subgroup of the infinite dihedral group? More precisely, let $G = \langle u,t\ |\ u^2=1,\ utu=t^{-1} \rangle$. Let $H = \{1,u\}$, and take $g=t$ for the generator of the transversal.

Related to "structure" on the cosets → normal?

What is a coset?

A coset is a set of elements formed by multiplying a fixed element in a group by all other elements in the group. This operation can be performed on either the left or right side of the fixed element.

What is a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is invariant under conjugation by any element of the larger group. In other words, the elements of the normal subgroup remain unchanged when multiplied by any element in the larger group.

How is a coset related to a normal subgroup?

The cosets of a normal subgroup are the equivalent of the "pieces" that make up the larger group. Each coset contains all the elements that are equivalent to each other under the normal subgroup.

What is the significance of normal subgroups in group theory?

Normal subgroups play a crucial role in classifying and understanding groups. They are used to define important concepts such as quotient groups and factor groups, and also help to identify the structure of a group.

What are some examples of cosets and normal subgroups?

An example of a coset is the set of even numbers in the group of integers under addition. An example of a normal subgroup is the set of rotations in the group of symmetries of a square.