Why Is the Accelerated Friedmann Equation Giving Incorrect Signs?

In summary, an expert summarizer of content provided the following summary of the conversation: -They are struggling to derive the accelerated Friedmann equation and are looking for help. -They use the Einstein equations and trace to get: -R-4\Lambda = \frac{T}{M^2_p} = \frac{-\rho+3p}{M^2_p}-Where R=6[ \frac{\ddot{a}}{a}+H^2]. -They then use this to get: -\frac{\ddot{a}}{a} = -\Lambda - \frac{1}{
Cancer
Hi!

I'm struggling to derive the accelerated Friedmann equation (shame on me!)...

I'll tell you what I'm doing and maybe you can find where the mistake is.

First of all, we know that:

[tex] H^2 = \frac{\rho}{2M^2_p}+\frac{\Lambda}{3}[/tex]

Now, using the Einstein Equations and doing the trace of these, we get:
[tex]-R-4\Lambda = \frac{T}{M^2_p} = \frac{-\rho+3p}{M^2_p}[/tex]
Where [itex]R=6[ \frac{\ddot{a}}{a}+H^2][/itex].
Using this, I get:
[tex] \frac{\ddot{a}}{a} = -\Lambda - \frac{1}{6}\frac{\rho+3p}{M^2_p}[/tex]

The problem is that I shouldn't get a minus sing in the [itex] \Lambda [/itex] and divided by 3, but I just CAN'T see what I'm doing wrong, as you can see here:
http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Carroll2/Carroll1_2.html
I've tried to look for a book that does this derivation but I haven't found any...

If you could help me I would really appreciate it!
Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
Why do you have the trace of the [itex]\Lambda[/itex] as [itex]-4\Lambda[/itex]? I don't think that's right.

Chalnoth said:
Why do you have the trace of the [itex]\Lambda[/itex] as [itex]-4\Lambda[/itex]? I don't think that's right.

The trace of the ##\Lambda g_{\mu \nu}## term is ##+4 \Lambda##, which then gives a ##+ \Lambda/3## in the expression for ##\ddot{a}/a##.

George Jones said:
The trace of the ##\Lambda g_{\mu \nu}## term is ##+4 \Lambda##, which then gives a ##+ \Lambda/3## in the expression for ##\ddot{a}/a##.

Oh my god, thank you, I was using
[tex] R_{\mu \nu} -\frac{1}{2}R g_{\mu \nu} -\Lambda g_{\mu \nu} = 8\pi G T_{\mu \nu}[/tex]
Because that's what the problem said, but I see now that it is a typo in the sign... I'm going to kill my professor he has done 3 typos in this problem already T_T

Thanks a lot people!

Are you sure about your result? It doesn't seem like only a matter of sign, but also a matter of your factors (like 1/6 in front of the density/momentum)

I find it easier to take the FE and take the time derivative of it. Doing so (and using the fluid continuity equation) the answer would be like:

[itex] \frac{\ddot{a}}{a} = \frac{\Lambda}{3} - \frac{1}{2} \frac{\rho +3p}{2M_{Pl}^2}[/itex]

This coincides also with the bibliography of [itex] 8 \pi G /3 [/itex] since in your case you have written that as [itex] \frac{1}{2 M_{Pl}^2}[/itex]. If you prefer ##G##, it would be:

[itex] \frac{\ddot{a}}{a} = \frac{\Lambda}{3} - \frac{4 \pi G }{3} (\rho +3p)[/itex]

Last edited:
bapowell said:
Please don't kill your professor

Just kidding ;)

ChrisVer said:
Are you sure about your result? It doesn't seem like only a matter of sign, but also a matter of your factors (like 1/6 in front of the density/momentum)

I find it easier to take the FE and take the time derivative of it. Doing so (and using the fluid continuity equation) the answer would be like:

[itex] \frac{\ddot{a}}{a} = \frac{\Lambda}{3} - \frac{1}{2} \frac{\rho +3p}{2M_{Pl}^2}[/itex]

This coincides also with the bibliography of [itex] 8 \pi G /3 [/itex] since in your case you have written that as [itex] \frac{1}{2 M_{Pl}^2}[/itex]. If you prefer ##G##, it would be:

[itex] \frac{\ddot{a}}{a} = \frac{\Lambda}{3} - \frac{4 \pi G }{3} (\rho +3p)[/itex]
As I said, it was a problem of the sign and also the factor 3.
I've already solved my problem, thanks a lot! ^^

There is an ancient tradition for murder that inflicts all the victims responsibilities - including servicing their spouse.

1. What are the Friedmann equations?

The Friedmann equations are a set of mathematical equations that describe the evolution of the universe in the context of general relativity. They were developed by Alexander Friedmann in the 1920s and are based on Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. Why is it challenging to work with the Friedmann equations?

The Friedmann equations involve complex mathematical calculations and require a thorough understanding of general relativity. Additionally, the equations involve variables that are difficult to measure, such as the density and pressure of the universe. This makes it challenging for scientists to accurately apply the equations to real-world situations.

3. What are some common misconceptions about the Friedmann equations?

One common misconception is that the Friedmann equations can accurately predict the future of the universe. In reality, the equations are based on assumptions and can only provide an approximate understanding of the universe's evolution. Another misconception is that the equations only apply to the expanding universe, when in fact they can also be used to describe a contracting universe.

4. How do the Friedmann equations contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The Friedmann equations are an important tool for studying the large-scale structure and evolution of the universe. They have helped scientists make predictions about the age, size, and fate of the universe. The equations have also played a crucial role in shaping our current understanding of the Big Bang theory.

5. Are there any limitations to the Friedmann equations?

Yes, the Friedmann equations have limitations. They do not take into account the effects of dark matter and dark energy, which are believed to make up a significant portion of the universe's mass and energy. The equations also do not apply to situations involving extreme gravitational fields, such as those near black holes. Additionally, the equations are based on simplifying assumptions and may not accurately describe the complexities of the universe.