Stuck on vector calculus questions for exam

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions: finding a perpendicular vector using the cross product, and finding the equation of a plane through a given point and perpendicular to a given vector. The equation of a plane is given by the dot product of a vector on the plane and the normal vector, and when given three points, the normal vector can be found by taking the cross product of two distances. The general equation of a plane is Ax+By+Cz+D=0, with A, B, C being the normal vector and D being the distance from the origin. The conversation also mentions using Stewart's Calculus text for a more detailed explanation. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the importance of understanding basic concepts in order to solve these problems.
terryfields
two questions that i can't ever remember covering

first of all finding a perpendicular vector

find a vector perpendicular to the vectors a=i+2j-2k and b=-2i+3j+5k

and secondly the equation of a plane?? through point with position vector (2,1,1) and perpendicular to (3,-1,2) what are the forumla for finding these pieces of information?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show some attempt

1) Use cross product
2) (3,-1,2) is perpendicular to the plane and (2,1,1) is a plane point

These both questions are really simple (you are not extending your information etc.). If you know your basics you should be able to solve them.

so the first parts just the cross product? then to find the perp unit vector i divide it by its length?

whats the equation of a plane? and are there different ways to work it out given different information because the notes i have on it don't seem to make much sense to me i was expecting some kind of formula but there doesn't seem to be one

when given 3 points do i do the cross product of two distances to find the normal vector? e.g A,B,C (B-A)X(C-A)=N and if this is so what do i after I've found the normal?

terryfields said:
so the first parts just the cross product? then to find the perp unit vector i divide it by its length?
Yes correct.

terryfields said:
whats the equation of a plane? and are there different ways to work it out given different information because the notes i have on it don't seem to make much sense to me i was expecting some kind of formula but there doesn't seem to be one
The equation of a plane is given by the dot product of a vector lying on the plane from a reference point on the plane and the vector normal to the plane.

terryfields said:
when given 3 points do i do the cross product of two distances to find the normal vector? e.g A,B,C (B-A)X(C-A)=N and if this is so what do i after I've found the normal?
Yes this is correct. The rest is as explained above.

anyone arround? could really use some help on this I've got to the point where i now know (or think i know) that Ax+By+Cz+D=0 is the equation of the plane with A,B, C being the normal vector and D being the distance from the plane to the orogin but i have no idea how to find these two peices of information from the information that i have been given in any of the examples, thanks

That is the general equation of a plane. It is obtained by the means as I have explained to you above.

and secondly the equation of a plane?? through point with position vector (2,1,1) and perpendicular to (3,-1,2)

so for this question am i correct in thinking that i need to find the line perpendicular to the perpendicular (i.e the normal) and then dot product with the other vector?

but how do i find the perp of 3,-1,2 with only one vector to go on? i can't use the cross product this way as above?

and for the third part i just use my normal along with anyone of the 3 points and cross product them? thanks for ur help so far defender

if n perp to plane

then
n dot any plane position = D (in standard eqn)

and

<a,b,c> = n

ax+by+cz = d

(I learned this in high school discrete math, maybe they don't teach well in calculus or assume that you know this already ..)

Given a normal vector n, and a point ro, the equation of a plane perpendicular to that vector and through that point is n[tex]\circ[/tex](r- ro)=0. (That circle things represents a dot). If you are using Stewart's Calculus text, there is a pretty good section about this in that book.

For the first one use cross product so you'll get a vector perpendicular to both
second the d.c's of the plane are the cordinaates of the Vector perpendicular to the plane and it passes through the given point,subs and get the ans
ax+by+cz+d=0
a,b,c (you know them)
it passes through
a',b',c'
so
d=-(aa'+bb'+cc')

For the first one use cross product so you'll get a vector perpendicular to both
second the d.c's of the plane are the cordinaates of the Vector perpendicular to the plane and it passes through the given point,subs and get the ans
ax+by+cz+d=0
a,b,c (you know them)
it passes through
a',b',c'
so
d=-(aa'+bb'+cc')

Related to Stuck on vector calculus questions for exam

What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the mathematical operations and properties of vectors in n-dimensional space. It involves differentiation and integration of vector functions, as well as the study of vector fields and their properties.

Why do I need to learn vector calculus?

Vector calculus has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It provides a powerful framework for understanding and solving problems involving vectors, which are commonly used to represent quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration.

What are some common topics covered in vector calculus exams?

Common topics in vector calculus exams include vector operations (such as dot and cross products), vector functions (such as position, velocity, and acceleration), line and surface integrals, and the theorems of Green, Stokes, and Gauss.

How can I prepare for a vector calculus exam?

To prepare for a vector calculus exam, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems, including both theoretical and applied problems. Reviewing class notes, textbook examples, and past exams can also be helpful in identifying key concepts and areas for improvement.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector calculus problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid in vector calculus problems include forgetting to account for the direction of vectors, mixing up the order of operations (such as multiplying instead of dividing), and not simplifying expressions before attempting to solve them. It is also important to carefully check units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.