Studying for my SAT II Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses studying for SAT II Physics and taking practice tests. The main question is about the force of attraction between two charges separated by a distance of 2m, and how it changes when the distance is doubled. The correct answer is 1 N, as the force decreases by a factor of 1/4 when the distance is doubled. The conversation ends with confirmation of understanding and excitement about the solution.
oceanflavored
i'm studying for my SAT II Physics on June 7, 2008. and taking practice tests from REA.
i had trouble understanding this question. please help :) it would be VERY appreciated.

Homework Statement

Two charges are separated by 2 m. The force of attraction between them is 4 N. If the distance between them is doubled, the new force between them is...
A) .5 N
B) 1 N
C) 2 N
D) 4 N
E) 8 N

Homework Equations

Force = [K(Q1)(Q2)] / (R^2)
the formula is on http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/chapter13section2.rhtml under Coulomb's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm sorry, i really couldn't figure out. it's probably a simple question, and i just can't see it.

PLEASE HELP!
thank you SO much :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,
You are given the distance = 2m. In Coulomb's Law the distance is R.
Now, if the distance doubles, then will the force increase or decrease(i.e. will it be greater or equal to 4N)? and by what factor?

Ummm...the force would decrease because the force is inversely proportional to the square of distance. And it would decrease by a factor of 1/16, right?

Hi oceanflavored,

It would decrease, and the new denominator is 16, but that's not the factor that the force decreased by. You have to take into account what the force was originally.

eureka! (i think!)

okay, i think i get this:
if the distance increases by a factor of 2, the force would decrease by a factor of (1/2)^2 or (1/4)
so the new force would be 4 x (1/4) = 1 N
yessssss?

Yes, that's correct.

oceanflavored said:
okay, i think i get this:
if the distance increases by a factor of 2, the force would decrease by a factor of (1/2)^2 or (1/4)
so the new force would be 4 x (1/4) = 1 N
yessssss?

Hi oceanflavored! :smile:

yessssss! :biggrin:

Related to Studying for my SAT II Physics

1. What topics are covered on the SAT II Physics exam?

The SAT II Physics exam covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, thermodynamics, modern physics, and laboratory skills. It is important to thoroughly review all of these topics in order to do well on the exam.

2. How should I study for the SAT II Physics exam?

It is recommended to start studying at least 2-3 months before the exam. Make a study schedule and allocate time for each topic. Practice with practice tests and review any topics that you struggle with. It is also helpful to create flashcards or study guides to reinforce key concepts.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to do well on the SAT II Physics exam?

A basic understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry is necessary for the SAT II Physics exam. However, the exam does not require advanced math skills. It is more important to have a strong understanding of physics concepts and how to apply them.

4. Can I use a calculator on the SAT II Physics exam?

Yes, a basic scientific calculator is allowed on the exam. However, it is important to note that the calculator will not have all of the functions and equations needed for the exam. It is still important to have a strong understanding of the concepts and be able to solve problems without a calculator.

5. Are there any tips for managing time during the SAT II Physics exam?

It is important to pace yourself during the exam. Each question is worth the same amount of points, so it is better to answer all of the easier questions first and then go back to the more difficult ones. It is also helpful to skip over any questions that are taking too much time and come back to them later if there is time remaining.