Studying Physics or Mathematics content first?

In summary, the speaker is a student in the UK who will be studying physics at university next year. They ask for advice on self-studying and whether to focus on physics content or mathematical techniques first. The expert suggests starting with mathematics (specifically real and complex analysis) for self-study, as it is important in physics and may be different from how it is taught in school. They also recommend using Wikipedia for unfamiliar symbols or definitions. The speaker also mentions their current self-study in linear algebra, complex arithmetic, and plans to look more into classical mechanics. The expert advises not neglecting classical mechanics and suggests making notes and drawings to aid in understanding and memorization.
Liam Lau
Hi, I'm a student in the UK and am going on to study Physics at university next year. I enjoy self-study and was wondering which approach would be best, whether to read the physics content first or learn mathematical techniques first ( real and complex analysis etc.) Moreover, I wasn't sure whether to take notes on this extra maths material- I have had mixed messages from teachers and friends, some find taking notes quite cumbersome and just do some exercises and seem to remember everything alright, but some take notes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion mathematics (analysis) should be more suitable to self-study. Furthermore analysis will become your natural habitat in physics, so you will have to learn it anyway. As it is usually a rather different approach from how it is dealt with at school, you might get some difficulties (not necessarily, but eventually). In this case I'd say you should switch to physics, as the mathematics in there (I assume classical mechanics) is closer to what appeared at school. Maybe it's written in a different way, but basically by similar means. Wikipedia is a good source to look up symbols or definitions you're unfamiliar with. Of course this is a personal view and guided by what's practical, so it might happen that one or the other will make more fun, or you're more curious about. Both, but even more the latter, are good conditions to start learning. Thus whatever provides you with more of them, you should choose. I wouldn't start with complex analysis (except perhaps some complex arithmetic), as it's quite different from the real case, and one should get used to the techniques first.

Thank you for your insight. I'm currently doing some linear algebra, complex arithmetic - nothing really difficult: just transformations onto the complex plane and De Moivre's theorem. I need to look into analysis, as you mentioned, and really more into classical mechanics. I always neglect classical mechanics (I know that's bad) to favour quantum mechanics and differential geometry to set me up for General relativity.

Just one question, when you self taught maths or some physical concepts, did you always make notes on it?

Liam Lau said:
Thank you for your insight. I'm currently doing some linear algebra, complex arithmetic - nothing really difficult: just transformations onto the complex plane and De Moivre's theorem. I need to look into analysis, as you mentioned, and really more into classical mechanics. I always neglect classical mechanics (I know that's bad) to favour quantum mechanics and differential geometry to set me up for General relativity.

Just one question, when you self taught maths or some physical concepts, did you always make notes on it?
Sounds like a good plan. And I know, that GR, QM and differential geometry are far more exciting than Newton's mechanics. But you would be surprised how many questions here about GR can actually already be answered by good old Isaac.

I always write down things as it helps me a lot to better memorize it. Similar is true to drawings and scribbles. Try to get a picture from the stuff you read. It doesn't have to be perfect, just as much as is needed to grasp the principle behind.

Thanks for all the advice!

Related to Studying Physics or Mathematics content first?

1. Should I study physics or mathematics content first?

The answer to this question depends on your personal learning style and goals. Some people find it helpful to study mathematics first, as it provides a foundation for understanding physics concepts. Others prefer to study physics first, as it allows them to see real-world applications of mathematical concepts. Ultimately, it is important to have a balance of both subjects in order to fully understand and excel in the field of physics.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to study physics?

While a strong foundation in mathematics can be beneficial for studying physics, it is not always necessary. Many introductory physics courses cover the necessary mathematical concepts as they are needed. However, as you progress in your studies, a strong understanding of mathematics will become increasingly important.

3. Can I study physics and mathematics simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to study both physics and mathematics at the same time. In fact, the two subjects often overlap and reinforce each other. However, it is important to have a good time management plan in place in order to balance the workload of both subjects.

4. Will studying mathematics first make physics easier?

Studying mathematics first can make some aspects of physics easier to understand, as it provides a foundation for the mathematical concepts used in physics. However, it is not a guarantee that studying mathematics first will make physics easier overall. It is important to have a strong understanding of both subjects in order to excel in physics.

5. How can I determine which subject to study first?

If you are unsure which subject to study first, consider your personal strengths and weaknesses. If you are more confident in your mathematical abilities, you may want to start with mathematics. If you are drawn to the practical applications of physics, you may want to start with physics. Ultimately, it is important to have a balance of both subjects in your studies.