Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue problem

Sturm-Liouville theory or by solving the differential equation and analyzing the behavior of the eigenfunction.
dochalladay32

Homework Statement

We are to show that for 0<β<1, eigenvalues are strictly positive and for β>1, we have to determine how many negative eigenvalues there are.

u''+λ2u=0, u(0)=0, βu(π)-u'(π) = 0

Homework Equations

I've already shown that the eigenvalues are determined by tan(λπ)=λ/β (was told this is correct).

Some how just from this, we are supposed to determine what I listed in part 1. I tried using the Rayliegh quotient, but that is no good as you can't definitely say what β should and shouldn't be to make it positive in this case.

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that L is self-adjoint so our eigenvalues, λ2, are real. Therefore λ is either strictly real or strictly imaginary. I was told that if you plug in λ=i*ω, leading to negative eigenvalues, this would force β>1. And then if you assume λ is real, this would force β<1. I do not see why this is true at all. If you assume λ is imaginary, you wind up with

tanh(ωπ)=ω/β,

and this has solutions for β<1, which indicates that you still have negative eigenvalues for β<1, which I was told should not be possible.

Can anyone explain what I was supposed to be seeing when I put a complex or real number in, or have an alternate way of explaining it?

EDIT: Professor finally admitted there was an error. We should actually be using the interval [0,1], not [0,π]. tan(λ)=λ/β, which is easy to show now what beta you need.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the equation and determining what information is given and what is being asked. From the given equations, it is clear that the problem involves finding the eigenvalues of a self-adjoint operator L, which can be done by solving the differential equation u''+λ2u=0 with the given boundary conditions.

Next, I would look at the given information and try to understand the significance of the condition 0<β<1. Since β is a constant and not a variable in the differential equation, this condition must have some relation to the eigenvalues. From the given equation tan(λπ)=λ/β, we can see that the eigenvalues are determined by the ratio of λ to β. This means that the value of β will affect the value of the eigenvalues.

To determine the sign of the eigenvalues, we can use the Rayleigh quotient, which is given by λ2= u'(π)/u(π). From this, we can see that for the eigenvalues to be strictly positive, u'(π) and u(π) must have the same sign. This means that for 0<β<1, u(π) and u'(π) must both be positive, leading to positive eigenvalues.

For β>1, we can see that u(π) and u'(π) must have opposite signs for the eigenvalues to be negative. This means that there must be a point where u(π)=0 and u'(π)<0, which can only happen if u(0)=0 and u'(0)>0. This leads to the conclusion that for β>1, there is at least one negative eigenvalue.

To determine the exact number of negative eigenvalues, we can use the Sturm-Liouville theory, which states that the number of negative eigenvalues is equal to the number of sign changes in the eigenfunction u(x) between the boundary points. In this case, since u(0)=0 and u'(0)>0, the eigenfunction must have at least one sign change between x=0 and x=π, leading to at least one negative eigenvalue.

In summary, for 0<β<1, the eigenvalues are strictly positive, and for β>1, there is at least one negative eigenvalue and potentially more depending on the number of sign changes in the eigenfunction. This can be determined using

Related to Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue problem

1. What is the Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue problem?

The Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a second-order linear differential operator. It is named after mathematicians Jacques Charles François Sturm and Joseph Liouville, who independently studied the problem in the 19th century.

2. What is the significance of the Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue problem?

The Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue problem is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, including differential equations, spectral theory, and quantum mechanics. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and finance.

3. How is the Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue problem solved?

The Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue problem is typically solved using a combination of analytical and numerical methods. These may include techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and the shooting method. The exact approach used will depend on the specific problem at hand.

4. What are some real-life examples of the Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue problem?

The Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue problem can be applied to various physical systems, such as vibrating strings, quantum systems, and heat conduction. It can also be used to model the behavior of financial markets and the flow of fluids in a pipe.

5. What are the applications of the Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue problem?

The applications of the Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue problem are numerous and diverse. It is used in fields such as engineering, physics, finance, and computer science. Some specific applications include solving differential equations, analyzing the stability of systems, and predicting the behavior of physical systems.