Subliming, or evaporating polymers

• Thread starter momentum_waves
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polymers
In summary: Many thanks for trying to help.In summary, a polymer-based substance is necessary to bond two metals together during initial machining, then heat and drive off the polymer until only the metallic component remains in place. The material should be fairly rigid and withstand stress during the heating phase. Fiber reinforced polymer may be a good option for this type of application.
momentum_waves
I have an application where I need to bond various materials together, perform certain machining, cutting, forming operations on this matrix - then - with the matrix in position, gradually heat & then drive off the polymer until only the metallic component remains in place.

I had in mind a polymer-based substance due to its inherent strength.

If anyone has information on subliming, or evaporating polymer substances I'd be most grateful. Alternatively, if someone has alternative suggestions - thanks indeed.

This is a research/commercial application.

Many thanks,
mw...

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't really understand what you're asking.

Are you saying that you need a material that bonds two metals together? Like an adhesive?

And that it needs to perform certain mechanical operations and then upon heating, the adhesive sublimates and the metals separate?

If I have this wrong, let me know.

There are two subdivisions of polymers. Thermoplastic and thermosetting. What you would want is a thermoplastic polymer. These types of polymers soften when heated (and eventually liquefy). I'm assuming that if you raise the temperature enough that that liquid would also evaporate.

Let me know if this helps or if I can help you more (which is probably a long shot).

Many thanks for your kind reply.

Are you saying that you need a material that bonds two metals together? Like an adhesive?

Essentially hold metals apart for initial machining.

And that it needs to perform certain mechanical operations and then upon heating, the adhesive sublimates and the metals separate?

Upon heating, the spacer activity of the polymer would cease as it sublimates, or evaporates - leaving only the metallic components.

I'm assuming that if you raise the temperature enough that that liquid would also evaporate.

Yes. Absolutely - unless the material were able to first sublimate. How exactly it disappears would not be too much of a problem - I'd expect the melting/evaporation route to take longer. The final objective would be to have no residue remaining.

I guess you could use a polymer, but what type of polymer will depend on the distance between the two metals and if you want it to be rigid or flexible (among other properties I'm sure).

If it is a large distance, I'm not sure that a thermoplastic polymer will have the mechanical properties to withstand the stress/strains associated with the design. However, a thermosetting polymer may be strong enough to hold the metals together. With a thermosetting polymer though, you would not be able to get it to sublimate because it will not soften upon heat treatment.

What type of application is it? How much structural support does the polymer attribute to the design?

Thanks so much for your comments

I guess you could use a polymer, but what type of polymer will depend on the distance between the two metals and if you want it to be rigid or flexible (among other properties I'm sure).

The polymer-metal matrix would need to be 'fairly' rigid during cutting, & machining operations - too much slop would create inconsistencies on the metallic surfaces.

If it is a large distance, I'm not sure that a thermoplastic polymer will have the mechanical properties to withstand the stress/strains associated with the design.

Inter-metallic distances approx 0.1-1.0mm. This spacing in itself, would probably stiffen the polymer-metal matrix.

Other than a polymer substance, I wonder what other materials could be considered? Essentially, the polymer is only necessary for initial cutting/machining, positioning of the component during assembly & support during much of the heating phase. After that it is a liability & needs to exit the system as cleanly as possible.

Last edited:
Support during much of the heating phase?

I'm not sure you can accomplish this and also have the polymer exit the system via evaporation. The support will decrease with increasing temperature if it is thermoplastic.

Perhaps you could use a fiber reinforced polymer (a composite material) that would be stronger during the heating phase up until a certain temperature. At this temperature (melting temp), the polymer matrix will break down and hopefully exit the system. The melting temperature will depend on what kind of fiber you use.

What temperature do you reach during the heating phase?

You will have to determine the amount of heat you are willing to add to the operation after the heating phase has been accomplished so as to break down the polymer composite. This will increase the amount of energy input to the system, which increases cost. You will want to minimize the cost. Therefore try to select a composite that will break down at a temperature just slightly over the heating phase final temperature.

I imagine there is an easier solution to this than what were are starting to get into. Clearly my lack of engineering experience precedes me in this discussion.

Thanks for your input & brain-storm.

The polymer support can be phased out fairly early if correct material tolerances & a level of interference fit is accommodated - so this portion can probably be neglected. In this sense, the polymer's major role would be sufficient up to say even less that 100'C, or maximum machining temperature. After that, once the polymer-metal matrix is in place, it can begin exiting the system - by whatever means.

Now, what type of thermoelastic/thermoplastic polymers could fit into that role? Suppliers/manufacturers?

I would suggest looking up information on thermoplastics, amorphous polymers, etc. I really don't know myself. good luck

Thanks so much - you have been extremely helpful.

Regards,
mw...

It sounds like you are drifting toward powder metallurgy. Wiki has a pretty good article about the process. If you could use a metal/ceramic composite rather than just a metallic piece, you might consider that route. In that example, the binder for your metallic powder would be a preceramic polymer. Upon heating the preceramic polymer would harden into a ceramic/metal composite. You would have what is referred to as a near net shape ceramic/metallic composite. The silicon carbide SCC composite used on the space shuttle is manufactured in this way. A carbon fiber/amorphous carbon preform is infiltrated with molten silicon and heated to convert the skin to a silicon carbide. No metal remains in that example because high temperature stability in a triplet oxygen environment (i.e. re-entry conditions) is the ultimate goal, however there is nothing to prevent you from using more silicon on a more porous substrate yielding a rigid silicon-carbide reinforced silicon metal composite. Alternatively, you could use a porous metal preform or even a slurry of metallic particles in a preceramic polymer matrix. In these examples, the binder (preceramic polymer) never leaves the system.

^ Thanks for your excellent post.

Oddly-enough, my original thoughts for this thread were more around a 'lost-wax' type concept leaving metallic objects in place, whilst binder-spacer disappeared, but, your post has triggered an 'Ahah moment' & has shunted me along an alternative path.

I had been investigating, in parallel, a superfine powder metallurgical concept. This path now suddenly seems to be a lot more plausible.

Thanks so much for your input - I love the 'Ahah moments'. o:)

1. What is subliming or evaporating of polymers?

Subliming, or evaporating of polymers, is a process in which a solid polymer is heated and transformed into a gas, bypassing the liquid phase. This process is also known as sublimation and is often used in the production of polymers for industrial and scientific purposes.

2. How does sublimation of polymers occur?

Sublimation of polymers occurs when the temperature and pressure conditions are such that the polymer molecules have enough energy to break free from the solid state and transform into a gas. This process is similar to the evaporation of water, but occurs at a much higher temperature due to the strong bonds between polymer molecules.

3. What are the applications of subliming or evaporating polymers?

The sublimation or evaporation of polymers has a wide range of applications, including the production of thin films and coatings, purification of polymers, and the creation of 3D printed objects. It is also commonly used in the pharmaceutical industry for drug delivery systems and in the production of electronic components.

4. What are the advantages of using sublimation over other methods of polymer production?

Sublimation of polymers offers several advantages over other methods of polymer production. It allows for the production of high-purity polymers, as impurities are left behind during the sublimation process. It also offers precise control over the thickness of thin films, making it ideal for creating electronic components and coatings.

5. Are there any risks associated with subliming or evaporating polymers?

While sublimation of polymers is generally considered a safe process, there are a few potential risks to be aware of. The high temperatures involved in the process can be a fire hazard, so proper safety precautions must be taken. Additionally, some polymers may release toxic fumes when heated, so it is important to work in a well-ventilated area.