Subrings of Real numbers which are discrete

In summary, to find all subrings of \mathbb{R} that are discrete subsets, we can first assume that S is a subring of \mathbb{R} and then use the fact that S must contain the integers. Then, by further assuming that S is also a discrete subset, we can show that the only possible subring is the set of integers. This is because if S contains any elements less than 1, there would be a contradiction with the definition of discreteness. Therefore, the only subring of \mathbb{R} that is also a discrete subset is the set of integers.
Theorem.

Homework Statement

Find all subrings of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] which are discrete subsets

Homework Equations

For the purpose of our class, a ring is a ring with identity, not necessarily commutative.

The Attempt at a Solution

First suppose that [itex]S\subset \mathbb{R}[/itex] is a subring of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. Then, by definition we must have [itex]0\in S[/itex] and
[itex]1\in S[/itex]. Since [itex]S[/itex] is closed under addition, [itex]\underbrace{1+1+...+1}_\text{n times}=n\in S[/itex]. That is, for all
[itex]n\in \mathbb{N}[/itex], [itex]n\in S[/itex]. Likewise, since the additive inverse of every element of [itex]S[/itex] must also be in [itex]S[/itex], we
have[itex]-n\in S[/itex] for all [itex]n\in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. We thus conclude that [itex]\mathbb{Z}\subset S[/itex].

Now suppose that [itex]S[/itex] is also a discrete subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. That is, for every element [itex]s\in S[/itex] there exists
[itex]r>0[/itex] such that for each [itex]x\in S\setminus{\{s\}}[/itex] we have [itex]|s-x|>r[/itex]. Note that since
[itex]\mathbb{Z}\subset S[/itex],[itex]r<1[/itex].

okay this is where I am right now and am somewhat (for the moment) stuck. Although I haven't clearly stated it yet, I am claiming that the only such subring is the integers. Using what I have already proven (the integers are contained in any subring of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and the assumption that S is discrete
I wish to show that [itex]\min_{x\in S\setminus{\{s\}}}|s-x|=d=1[/itex], and I already know [itex]d\leq 1[/itex]. Perhaps if I assume [itex]d<1[/itex], I will arrive at a contradiction? Any thoughts?

I apologize that the proof so far is a little rough, it is more a less just a sketch. Thanks everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
Theorem. said:

Homework Statement

Find all subrings of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] which are discrete subsets

Homework Equations

For the purpose of our class, a ring is a ring with identity, not necessarily commutative.

The Attempt at a Solution

First suppose that [itex]S\subset \mathbb{R}[/itex] is a subring of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. Then, by definition we must have [itex]0\in S[/itex] and
[itex]1\in S[/itex]. Since [itex]S[/itex] is closed under addition, [itex]\underbrace{1+1+...+1}_\text{n times}=n\in S[/itex]. That is, for all
[itex]n\in \mathbb{N}[/itex], [itex]n\in S[/itex]. Likewise, since the additive inverse of every element of [itex]S[/itex] must also be in [itex]S[/itex], we
have[itex]-n\in S[/itex] for all [itex]n\in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. We thus conclude that [itex]\mathbb{Z}\subset S[/itex].

Now suppose that [itex]S[/itex] is also a discrete subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. That is, for every element [itex]s\in S[/itex] there exists
[itex]r>0[/itex] such that for each [itex]x\in S\setminus{\{s\}}[/itex] we have [itex]|s-x|>r[/itex]. Note that since
[itex]\mathbb{Z}\subset S[/itex],[itex]r<1[/itex].

okay this is where I am right now and am somewhat (for the moment) stuck. Although I haven't clearly stated it yet, I am claiming that the only such subring is the integers. Using what I have already proven (the integers are contained in any subring of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and the assumption that S is discrete
I wish to show that [itex]\min_{x\in S\setminus{\{s\}}}|s-x|=d=1[/itex], and I already know [itex]d\leq 1[/itex]. Perhaps if I assume [itex]d<1[/itex], I will arrive at a contradiction? Any thoughts?

I apologize that the proof so far is a little rough, it is more a less just a sketch. Thanks everyone

I think you are almost there. 0 is in S. If S is discrete then there is a s>0 in S such that s=min(|s| for s in S), right? There is a little bit of work to show that, but once you have then where would you go from there?

Thanks Dick. I understand where the element s you are describing comes from and why it is in S i just am having a difficult time figuring out what I should do with it. well i think i might be getting an idea as I type this,
if s<1, then s^2 for instance is also in S (S is a ring) and yet s^2<s<1, contradicting the definition of s?

Theorem. said:
Thanks Dick. I understand where the element s you are describing comes from and why it is in S i just am having a difficult time figuring out what I should do with it. well i think i might be getting an idea as I type this,
if s<1, then s^2 for instance is also in S (S is a ring) and yet s^2<s<1, contradicting the definition of s?

You know s<=1 because 1 is in S as well. Yes, that's the final contradiction. Now back up and tell me why min(|s| for s in S) must be in S. Think about the properties of greatest lower bounds and R and the discreteness of S.

Dick said:
You know s<=1 because 1 is in S as well. Yes, that's the final contradiction. Now back up and tell me why min(|s| for s in S) must be in S. Think about the properties of greatest lower bounds and R and the discreteness of S.

the set [itex]\{|s|:s\in S\}[/itex] is bounded from below since S is by assumption discrete (there exists some r>0 such that [itex]|0-s|>r[/itex] for all [itex]s\in S[/itex]) and thus has a greatest lower bound, although-that doesn't necessarily mean the set contains its infimum I am missing some details here

Theorem. said:
the set [itex]\{|s|:s\in S\}[/itex] is bounded from below since S is by assumption discrete (there exists some r>0 such that [itex]|0-s|>r[/itex] for all [itex]s\in S[/itex]) and thus has a greatest lower bound, although-that doesn't necessarily mean the set contains its infimum I am missing some details here

Suppose the set doesn't contain its infimum. That mean there must be elements of S REALLY close to the infimum. Lots of them. That's a hint.

Dick said:
Suppose the set doesn't contain its infimum. That mean there must be elements of S REALLY close to the infimum. Lots of them. That's a hint.

Oh i see, S would contain a cluster point which would contradict the fact that S is discrete

Theorem. said:
Oh i see, S would contain a cluster point which would contradict the fact that S is discrete

Bingo!

Last edited:
Dick said:
Bingo!
Okay thanks a lot : ).

1. What are subrings of real numbers which are discrete?

Subrings of real numbers which are discrete are a subset of the real numbers that form a ring with additional properties. These subrings are discrete in the sense that they only contain isolated points with no accumulation points.

2. How are subrings of real numbers which are discrete different from subrings of real numbers?

Subrings of real numbers which are discrete have the additional property of being discrete, meaning they do not contain any accumulation points. This sets them apart from regular subrings of real numbers, which may contain accumulation points.

3. Can a subring of real numbers which is discrete contain irrational numbers?

Yes, a subring of real numbers which is discrete can contain irrational numbers. As long as the subring satisfies the properties of a ring and is discrete, it can contain any type of real number, including irrational numbers.

4. What are some examples of subrings of real numbers which are discrete?

Examples of subrings of real numbers which are discrete include the set of integers, the set of rational numbers, and the set of algebraic numbers. These subrings satisfy the properties of a ring and are discrete, as they do not contain any accumulation points.

5. Why are subrings of real numbers which are discrete important in mathematics?

Subrings of real numbers which are discrete are important in mathematics because they provide a way to study and understand discrete structures within the real numbers. They also have applications in number theory, algebra, and other areas of mathematics.