Subspace of vectors orthogonal to an arbitrary vector.

In summary, the subspace mentioned in the exercise is the kernel of the linear map ##T## given by ##w\mapsto\langle w,v\rangle##, and its dimension is ##n-1## by the rank-nullity theorem. This can also be shown by extending ##v## to an orthogonal basis for ##V## and observing that the subspace of vectors orthogonal to ##v## has a basis of dimension ##n-1##. Additionally, the image of ##T## is ##\mathbb{R}## because ##\langle v,v\rangle>0## for all ##v\in V##. It is recommended to study linear algebra in parallel to fill any gaps in understanding.
TheoEndre
Homework Statement
Let ##V## be a vector space with dim##V=n##. Show that the set consisting of vectors orthogonal to a vector ##\vec v \in V, \vec v \neq \vec 0## forms a subspace with dimension ##n-1##.
Relevant Equations
No relevant equations
The proof that the set is a subspace is easy. What I don't get about this exercise is the dimension of the subspace. Why is the dimension of the subspace ##n-1##? I really don't have a clue on how to go through this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the linear map ##V\to\mathbb{R}## given by ##w\mapsto\langle w,v\rangle## and apply rank-nullity.

Likes TheoEndre
Infrared said:
Think about the linear map ##V\to\mathbb{R}## given by ##w\mapsto\langle w,v\rangle## and apply rank-nullity.
I see, everything makes sense now. To be honest, I didn't even know such theorem exist (This exercise is from a quantum mechanics textbook, they didn't mention this theorem). But from what I've seen, with the help of the linear map you gave me, the subspace the exercise mentioned is just the kernel of the linear map. Since the dimension of the image of the linear map is ##1##, by the rank-nullity theorem (I will denote the transformation ##T##):
$$dim (Image T)+dim (kernel T)=dim V$$
$$1+dim(kernel T)=n$$
$$dim(kernel T)=n-1$$
correct?

Yes, that's fine (if you want to 100% complete, you should say why ##\text{im}(T)=\mathbb{R}##). If you don't want to appeal to rank-nullity, you could extend ##v## to an orthogonal basis ##\{v,v_2,\ldots,v_n\}## for ##V##. Then you should check that ##\{v_2,\ldots,v_n\}## is a basis for the subspace of vectors orthogonal to ##v##.

Likes TheoEndre
Infrared said:
Yes, that's fine (if you want to 100% complete, you should say why ##\text{im}(T)=\mathbb{R}##). If you don't want to appeal to rank-nullity, you could extend ##v## to an orthogonal basis ##\{v,v_2,\ldots,v_n\}## for ##V##. Then you should check that ##\{v_2,\ldots,v_n\}## is a basis for the subspace of vectors orthogonal to ##v##.
I actually don't know why ##\text{im}(T)=\mathbb{R}##, but I assumed the inner product to be completely defined (if that is the right word). I hope you tell me the reason. Also, the other solution is what I've been looking for (since the textbook didn't include the rank-nullity theorem), so thank you for that (It took me a while to actually understand it though).

The image of ##T## is a subspace of ##\mathbb{R}##, so it must be either ##\mathbb{R}## or ##\{0\}##. But the second case is impossible because ##T(v)=\langle v,v\rangle>0## since ##v\neq 0##. Recall that one of the axioms for an inner product is that ##\langle v,v\rangle\geq 0## for all ##v\in V## with equality only when ##v=0## (which we're assuming is not the case here).

Since you're unfamiliar with rank-nullity and your book doesn't mention it, I'd recommend finding a linear algebra textbook to read in parallel. It's likely that you have other significant gaps.

Likes TheoEndre
Infrared said:
The image of ##T## is a subspace of ##\mathbb{R}##, so it must be either ##\mathbb{R}## or ##\{0\}##. But the second case is impossible because ##T(v)=\langle v,v\rangle>0## since ##v\neq 0##. Recall that one of the axioms for an inner product is that ##\langle v,v\rangle\geq 0## for all ##v\in V## with equality only when ##v=0## (which we're assuming is not the case here).

Since you're unfamiliar with rank-nullity and your book doesn't mention it, I'd recommend finding a linear algebra textbook to read in parallel. It's likely that you have other significant gaps.
Thank you very much for your time, everything makes sense to me now.

1. What is a subspace of vectors orthogonal to an arbitrary vector?

A subspace of vectors orthogonal to an arbitrary vector is a set of all vectors that are perpendicular to the given vector. This subspace is also known as the orthogonal complement of the given vector.

2. How do you determine if a vector is orthogonal to an arbitrary vector?

To determine if a vector is orthogonal to an arbitrary vector, you can use the dot product. If the dot product of the two vectors is equal to zero, then they are orthogonal. Another way is to check if the angle between the two vectors is 90 degrees.

3. Can a subspace of vectors orthogonal to an arbitrary vector contain the zero vector?

Yes, a subspace of vectors orthogonal to an arbitrary vector can contain the zero vector. This is because the zero vector is perpendicular to all vectors, including the given arbitrary vector.

4. How many dimensions does a subspace of vectors orthogonal to an arbitrary vector have?

The dimension of a subspace of vectors orthogonal to an arbitrary vector is equal to the number of vectors that are orthogonal to the given vector. This can range from 0 to n-1, where n is the dimension of the vector space.

5. What is the relationship between a subspace of vectors orthogonal to an arbitrary vector and its basis?

The basis of a subspace of vectors orthogonal to an arbitrary vector is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. This means that any vector in the subspace can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors. The number of basis vectors is equal to the dimension of the subspace.