Sugar alcohols and their effect on your teeth.

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of Orbit gum on dental health. While it is marketed as being good for teeth due to its lack of sugar, the only ingredient of significance is "sugar alcohols." The question remains whether these "sugar alcohols" are still harmful to teeth or if they are somehow magically sweet without causing damage. The conversation suggests that sugars feed bacteria on teeth and can lead to enamel breakdown, but it is unclear if this also applies to "sugar alcohols." The conversation also offers a dental hygiene tip of not rinsing too much while brushing.
wasteofo2
I'm addited to Orbit gum, and they tout it as being good for your teeth. It has no sugar (in the glucose/sucrose sense), but it has "sugar alcohols" listed as the only ingredient of any import. So, are "sugar alcohols" somehow magically sweet and yet not bad for your teeth, or by chewing Orbit constantly am I doing as much damage to my teeth as I would be by chewing gum that used regular old sugar for sweetening?

Thanks,
Jacob

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I know sugars feed the bacteria that are on your teeth. After the bacteria consume the sugar they produce waste(acids) which break down the enamel on your teeth. Thats why after you drink a soda you can feel the plaque on your teeth get worse. I don't know about the "sugar alcohols" though, if a bacteria consumes them or not, you may have to ask a biologist.

Whenever you brush, dont' soak the toothbrush with water, and don't rinse too much. Brush for at least 1.5 minutes. That should do it.

What are sugar alcohols and how do they affect my teeth?

Sugar alcohols are natural sweeteners that are commonly used as sugar substitutes in food and drinks. They are found in many sugar-free or low-sugar products, such as chewing gum, candy, and baked goods. Sugar alcohols do not contribute to tooth decay because they are not metabolized by bacteria in the mouth like regular sugar. However, they can still have an effect on your teeth if consumed in large amounts.

Do sugar alcohols increase the risk of cavities?

No, sugar alcohols do not increase the risk of cavities. As mentioned before, they are not metabolized by bacteria in the mouth and therefore do not contribute to tooth decay. In fact, some sugar alcohols like xylitol have been shown to have a protective effect on teeth by reducing the amount of harmful bacteria in the mouth.

Can sugar alcohols cause tooth sensitivity?

Some people may experience tooth sensitivity when consuming large amounts of sugar alcohols. This is because sugar alcohols can have a drying effect on the mouth, which can lead to a decrease in saliva production. Saliva helps to protect and remineralize the teeth, so a decrease in saliva can make the teeth more susceptible to sensitivity.

Are there any other negative effects of consuming sugar alcohols?

In addition to tooth sensitivity, consuming large amounts of sugar alcohols can also lead to gastrointestinal issues such as bloating, gas, and diarrhea. It is important to monitor your intake and consume sugar alcohols in moderation to avoid these side effects.

What are some alternatives to sugar alcohols for a healthier smile?

If you are looking for a healthier alternative to sugar alcohols, you can try using natural sweeteners such as stevia, honey, or maple syrup. These natural sweeteners have a lower glycemic index and do not have the same drying effect on the mouth as sugar alcohols. Additionally, practicing good oral hygiene habits, such as brushing twice a day and flossing daily, can help maintain a healthy smile.