SULI Rejection: Can I Resubmit With Unredacted Transcript?

• Thread starter Woolford180
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suli
In summary: It couldn't hurt to ask, but I would consider the opportunity as a no go and look for other paths or other opportunities.You should also reach out to the PI's you knew and see if they have different means or funding (but don’t hassle them).Reaching out to the PI's you knew and seeing if they have different means or funding (but don’t hassle them) may be your best bet.
Woolford180
I did a SULI last summer and I applied again this year.
But I just got a rejection from the DOE because I accidentally redacted my name from my transcript when I was removing PII.
Do you think the DOE would let me send a copy of my transcript with my name unreducated?

Physics news on Phys.org
I missed out on one because some careful eyes caught my birthday on one of my transcripts, and it wasn’t me :( I didn’t know they put my birthday on there and I never noticed it before lol.

It couldn’t hurt to ask, but I would consider the opportunity as a no go and look for other paths or other opportunities. Even though you may have been rejected from SULI you may have noticed that these national labs have lots of internship opportunities even directly through the national lab too (not just through SULI program) so you could probably look on their website and see if you can score something through that; maybe find a different education program to sponsor your time there. The other thing you can do is reach out directly to the PI's you knew and see if they have different means or funding (but don’t hassle them).

You can also look for internships elsewhere and diversify your experience. The year I got rejected I ended up getting another opportunity at NASA, which was awesome and worked out really well. The things I learned there later became critical for my current full-time career. Don’t give up- there’s something out there and you can do it :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear this, but you should be thankful that you learned this lesson on something relatively minor as opposed to a million dollar grant proposal.

Applications are being considered now and offers are being generated. It's too late, I'm afraid.

Do you or your faculty advisor know a scientist at a national lab that can be directly contacted? Students are cheap in terms of lab costs, so if a PI can be convinced to get a student, they generally can find a way. There are plenty of potential mentors that have never thought about being one. Your previous mentor might not have the space, but might know someone who does.

Frabjous said:
Students are cheap in terms of lab costs
That depends. Depending on what is covered and what indirects are charged, they can be very expensive, especially compared to SULI who can be largely covered out of indirects.

At some labs, housing is made available. That would also be fend-for-yourself. At some labs there are programs specifically for SULI, and those are out.

Related to SULI Rejection: Can I Resubmit With Unredacted Transcript?

1. Can I resubmit my application for the SULI program if my transcript was initially redacted?

Yes, you can resubmit your application with an unredacted transcript. It is important to ensure that all information on your transcript is accurate and up-to-date before resubmitting.

2. Will my chances of being accepted into the SULI program be affected if I resubmit with an unredacted transcript?

Resubmitting with an unredacted transcript will not affect your chances of being accepted into the SULI program. Your application will be evaluated based on your qualifications and fit for the program, regardless of whether your transcript was initially redacted or not.

3. Do I need to provide an explanation for why my transcript was initially redacted?

No, you do not need to provide an explanation for why your transcript was initially redacted. However, if you have any concerns or extenuating circumstances that may have led to the redaction, you may include a brief explanation in your application.

4. Is there a deadline for resubmitting my application with an unredacted transcript?

The deadline for resubmitting your application with an unredacted transcript may vary depending on the specific SULI program you are applying to. It is important to check the program's website or contact the program coordinator for specific deadlines.

5. Can I make changes to my application when resubmitting with an unredacted transcript?

Yes, you may make changes to your application when resubmitting with an unredacted transcript. However, it is important to ensure that all information is accurate and up-to-date before resubmitting. You may also take this opportunity to strengthen your application by making any necessary updates or improvements.