Summation convention with expressions containing parentheses

In summary, the same index should not be repeated more than twice in any expression, and when encountering parentheses with Einstein summation, the summation should be performed first before any other mathematical operations indicated by the parentheses.
emq
Is (Tii)2 equivalent to (∑i = 1nTii)2? That is, when you encounter parentheses with Einstein summation, you perform the summation first and then apply any mathematical operations indicated by the parentheses? The solutions manual gives a solution to a problem I've been working out seems to indicate this is the case, but I haven't seen it stated as a rule.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At least in the tensor-related textbook I've been reading most recently, it is said that the same index should not be repeated more than twice in any expression. For instance, if ##\mathbf{a},\mathbf{b}## and ##\mathbf{c}## are three-component vectors, you shouldn't use the shorthand notation ##a_i b_i c_i = a_1 b_1 c_1 + a_2 b_2 c_2 + a_3 b_3 c_3##.

hilbert2 said:
At least in the tensor-related textbook I've been reading most recently, it is said that the same index should not be repeated more than twice in any expression. For instance, if ##\mathbf{a},\mathbf{b}## and ##\mathbf{c}## are three-component vectors, you shouldn't use the shorthand notation ##a_i b_i c_i = a_1 b_1 c_1 + a_2 b_2 c_2 + a_3 b_3 c_3##.

Yes, that's certainly true, I revised my question for the sake of clarity.

emq said:
Is (Tii)2 equivalent to (∑i = 1nTii)2? That is, when you encounter parentheses with Einstein summation, you perform the summation first and then apply any mathematical operations indicated by the parentheses? The solutions manual gives a solution to a problem I've been working out seems to indicate this is the case, but I haven't seen it stated as a rule.

Logically, that makes sense. In general, you interpret what is in the brackets first.

1. What is the purpose of the summation convention in scientific notation?

The summation convention is used in scientific notation to simplify and condense mathematical expressions that involve repeated summations. It allows for a more compact and efficient representation of these expressions.

2. Can parentheses be used in summation convention expressions?

Yes, parentheses can be used in summation convention expressions to indicate grouping or order of operations. However, it is important to follow the standard conventions for parentheses, such as using them in pairs and using them to enclose the correct terms.

3. How do I know when to use the summation convention in my calculations?

The summation convention is typically used when there are repeated terms in a mathematical expression, such as in a series or sequence. It is also commonly used in vector and tensor calculations. If you are unsure, consult a reference or your instructor for guidance.

4. Are there any rules for simplifying summation convention expressions?

Yes, there are several rules for simplifying summation convention expressions. These include the distributive property, combining like terms, and using known formulas or identities. It is important to also pay attention to the index or variable used in the summation, as it may change throughout the expression.

5. How do I convert a summation convention expression into standard notation?

To convert a summation convention expression into standard notation, you can expand the notation by writing out each term in the summation and then simplifying the resulting expression. It is also helpful to use known formulas or identities to simplify the expression further.