Definition of liminf of sequence of functions?

In summary, lim inf ##f_n## refers to the lim inf of a sequence of functions, where the value of lim inf at a point x is the lim inf of the sequence of numbers ##f_n(x)## as n->infinity. This lim inf is a function itself and pointswize convergence is enough for it to converge to the original sequence of functions.
mathmonkey

Homework Statement

Hi I've come across the term lim inf ##f_n## in my text but am not sure what it means.

##\lim \inf f_n = \sup _n \inf _{k \geq n} f_k##

In fact, I am not sure what is supposed to be the output of lim inf f? That is, is it supposed to return a real-valued number, or a function itself?

Generally for a real-valued function ##\inf f## refers to ##\inf_x f(x)##. That is, it returns the largest real-valued number smaller than f(x) for all x. If that's the case, then it should follow that ##\lim \inf f_n## also returns a real-valued number? But I've always thought the implication of lim inf and lim sup is that if ##f_n## converges uniformly to ##f## then

##\lim \inf f_n = \lim \sup f_n = \lim f_n = f##

but that doesn't seem to hold if i use this definition? Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmonkey said:

Homework Statement

Hi I've come across the term lim inf ##f_n## in my text but am not sure what it means.
I really like this image, from Wikipedia. It helped get me started in understanding intuitively what limsup and liminf mean. Hopefully it does the same for you.

Hi Mandelbroth,

Thanks for your reply! However, that picture only describes the limsup/liminf of a sequence of points, which is itself a point, which is easier to intuit for me. But what I'm wondering is what is the limsup/liminf of a sequence of functions supposed to be? Is it to be a function itself? Or just a point? I am unclear as to the definition itself of limsup for sequences of functions...

So far I'm thinking it shouldn't be intuitive for limsup/liminf f_n to be a point, since as I mentioned earlier if ##f_n## converges to ##f## uniformly it ought to be the case that ##\lim \sup f_n = \lim \inf f_n = \lim f_n##? Thanks again for any help

mathmonkey said:
Hi Mandelbroth,

Thanks for your reply! However, that picture only describes the limsup/liminf of a sequence of points, which is itself a point, which is easier to intuit for me. But what I'm wondering is what is the limsup/liminf of a sequence of functions supposed to be? Is it to be a function itself? Or just a point? I am unclear as to the definition itself of limsup for sequences of functions...

So far I'm thinking it shouldn't be intuitive for limsup/liminf f_n to be a point, since as I mentioned earlier if ##f_n## converges to ##f## uniformly it ought to be the case that ##\lim \sup f_n = \lim \inf f_n = \lim f_n##? Thanks again for any help

Yes, it's a function. The value of lim inf ##f_n## at a point x is the lim inf of sequence of numbers ##f_n(x)## as n->infinity.

mathmonkey said:
Hi Mandelbroth,

If you understand limsup/liminf of sequences of points, then this isn't too hard. Basically, you take a sequence of functions ##(f_n)_n##. Now, if I take a fixed ##x##, then ##x_n = f_n(x)## is a sequence of points. So the liminf makes sense. Now, we define

[tex]f(x) = \liminf x_n[/tex]

And we do that for any point. So the liminf of a sequence of functions is again a function ##f## which satisfies that

[tex]f(x) = \liminf f_n(x)[/tex]

for any ##x##. So you evaluate the liminf pointswize.

This is true. But uniform convergence isn't even needed. Pointswize convergence is enough.

Thanks guys! That makes perfect sense!

1. What is the definition of liminf of a sequence of functions?

The liminf (limit inferior) of a sequence of functions is the smallest real number that is greater than or equal to the limit of the infimum of the sequence of functions. In simpler terms, it is the smallest possible value that the sequence of functions approaches as the input variable approaches a fixed value.

2. How is the liminf of a sequence of functions calculated?

The liminf of a sequence of functions can be calculated by first finding the infimum (greatest lower bound) of the sequence at each point. Then, the limit of these infimum values is taken as the input variable approaches the fixed value. The resulting value is the liminf of the sequence of functions.

3. What is the significance of the liminf of a sequence of functions in mathematics?

The liminf of a sequence of functions is an important concept in mathematical analysis and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior and properties of sequences of functions. It is used to determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence, as well as to prove the existence of certain limits and continuity of functions.

4. How does the liminf of a sequence of functions differ from the limsup?

The limsup (limit superior) of a sequence of functions is defined as the largest real number that is less than or equal to the limit of the supremum of the sequence of functions. While the liminf is the smallest possible value that the sequence approaches, the limsup is the largest possible value. In other words, the liminf is the lower bound and the limsup is the upper bound for the sequence of functions.

5. Can the liminf of a sequence of functions be equal to the limsup?

Yes, it is possible for the liminf and limsup of a sequence of functions to be equal. This occurs when the sequence of functions converges to a single value, and that value is both the upper and lower bound for the sequence. In this case, the liminf and limsup are equal to the limit of the sequence.